Rigged up a breather system.

VibrantRedGT

"STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER"
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Boca Raton, Florida
Well after my lower intake gasket change I decided to go back to the stock system. I've only driven it around the block.

Well I tapped into the power pipe and ran hose to the oil filler neck. Used a glass filter so I can monitor if oil wants to shoot back towards the head unit.

Drilled a 3/8 inch hole and cleaned it up some.
imag0050.jpg

Used a 3/8 inch male connecter. Used thread locker.
imag0051.jpg

Cleaned up before it went onto the car.
imag0052.jpg

Here is the filter I used. The filter is inside the glass. It unscrews so the filter can be changed if needed. Came with clamps and everything for $5.99. Made by Puralator. Ran 3/8 inch hose to the oil filler neck and the other side to the power pipe.
imag0053.jpg

Pic of it all buttoned up on the power pipe.
imag0054.jpg

Well that's it, about $7 worth of parts. PCV can now do it's thing properly.

• Sponsors (?)

Joe,
Why didnt you call me to tell me you were doing this?

Couple of ???

1. Do you have to take the power pipe out to do that? Mine is in tight, and it's a PITA to take out.

2. What store did you get the filter? Pep Boys?

3. I thought we were supposed to put a check valve in that line?

4. Did you go ahead and put the Purolator TBird Turbo PCV in?

Lemme know...I may be giving you a call tomorrow during my lunch.

Thanks
RC

1. Yes the power pipe has to come out. You don't want metal shaving going through the motor.

2. Got it from Discount or Advance, whatever they are calling these days.

3. I'm gonna try this route first. I don't see how it could come back. Although these things are a mystery.

4. I'm getting my new valve tomorrow. It will be the Turbo Coupe one.

This was last minute and decide to try it. Took about 20 minutes.

VibrantRedGT said:
1. Yes the power pipe has to come out. You don't want metal shaving going through the motor.

2. Got it from Discount or Advance, whatever they are calling these days.

3. I'm gonna try this route first. I don't see how it could come back. Although these things are a mystery.

4. I'm getting my new valve tomorrow. It will be the Turbo Coupe one.

This was last minute and decide to try it. Took about 20 minutes.

Im sure the time is not a lot, Im just wondering how to get that dang PP out of the fender well.

Also, That filler tube is normall a vacuum. Under boost, it will flow out, that's why Im wondering about the C.Valve.
Yellow: Joe and I have been discussing and researching this for about a month now. A lot of the guys (here AND Corral) are using the T.C PCV valve off the T-Bird.

Thanks Joe, Let me know how it's going..Ill call you later today
RC

Paul that's why the clear filter is there. At least I can see if comes back. My blow by problem was not in the breather/oil filler neck area. Mine was pushing the PCV up under heavy boost.

Jess, the only thing people have said about the Turbo Coupe valve is it's made for boost. Believe it or not a Supra Turbo valve will also work.

Subscribing

Vibe, Joe,
I really need to know how this works because I've been following all these too for the same reasons. As I told RC, I thought I understood Bling's instructions but the more I read the posts the more confused I got.
I never gave a thought to the stock NA breather return to the intake but now that we're blown (literally, he he), I worry. The thought of a check valve or at least the filter seems better than just dumping oil back into the inlet.
Thanks. By the way my 306 SB is almost finished and should ship next week. Would be great to get all this ironed out so I can put it all together at the same time.
Wayne

Well thats what I was talking about. I use the ck valve just in case any pressure would try to make it's way back into the v/c. Now just do the T-Coupe pcv, ck valve thing and you'll be set.

Bling you still running a breather or just the stock oil cap? I'll probably switch up to a one way check valve shortly. I really want to see if oil will come back through the glass, curious I guess. I have the T-Coupe valve.

Wayne look at the pics above. It's as simple as that. All that's needed is some 3/8th inch hose (I bought 3 feet) and a one way check valve. Everything should cost under $10. The Turbo Coupe PCV is $3 at Pep Boys. Should be all set now.

1 way chk valve

VibrantRedGT said:
Wayne look at the pics above. It's as simple as that. All that's needed is some 3/8th inch hose (I bought 3 feet) and a one way check valve. Everything should cost under $10. The Turbo Coupe PCV is $3 at Pep Boys. Should be all set now.

Vibe,
Where did you get the oneway check valve and is there mfg name/part number? Thanks, I'm going to do that set up.
The pics are great. Now I understand what needs to be done.
Bling,
Thanks for following up.
Wayne

Joe, Mike (Bling) uses the Stock oil cap, with the hose going leading off the filler neck.

Mike, I tried calling you the past 3 nights, but your machine picked up. Do you have a Cell #, or do you know when I can call back your other #?

Wayne has PM'd me about your setup. I told him (and Joe, and Jose) that as soon as I talk to you again, I will get back with them. I bought my Tbird Turbo PCV already.

Thanks
RC

I'm just curious. Wouldn't oil be sucked out of the filler neck and into the power pipe?
It seems to me that as the s.c. pulls air through the p.p., a vacuum is produced in the tubing connected to the filler neck. Also, if someone was running a breather on the filler neck, unmetered air would be sucked in and routed into the p.p. Just curious.

Joe, A breather and PCV together is really not a good idea. I think it was the cause of my blow by issue. A breather is fine if you have it on both valve covers and PCV capped. RC appeared to have the same problem after installing his breather too. This system is basically the stock set up. Only difference is you make it a one way. Then oil and air can't come back.

95BLBLVert said:
I'm just curious. Wouldn't oil be sucked out of the filler neck and into the power pipe?
It seems to me that as the s.c. pulls air through the p.p., a vacuum is produced in the tubing connected to the filler neck. Also, if someone was running a breather on the filler neck, unmetered air would be sucked in and routed into the p.p. Just curious.
If the PCV does its job, that shouldnt happen. THe tube is at the top of the filler neck...NOT down deep in the covers. To be safe, that is why he has the filter there.

As far as the air thing, Joe and I are still trying to figure out the air flow thingymagig!

RC

Wayne, sorry I did'nt get back to you on Corral. I did'nt even see it till today :bang: You guys got it figured it out anyways it looks like. I use a stock oil cap for whoever asked. Have you guys repl the pcv yet? Are you using the ck valves directly after the pcv? Sorry I don't reply too quickly, I get busy at work and space it off :p