Fox Road Trips?

Has anyone on here taken their fox on any long journeys?

Thinking about taking mine up to Mustang Week in SC this summer. Am I just pushing my luck with an older car ?
It sure would be fun though.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Depends on what condition it's in. I wouldn't hesitate to take mine anywhere, mainly because I've replaced most everything mechanically speaking. I drive it to work every day, too. 50 miles round trip. I will say it has been a royal pain to get it to this condition from where it was.

Since the purchase, My son has driven his 86 back and forth between here and Barksdale AFB (300 miles) twice now. Collin is right, it depends on the condition of the car you are attempting to drive. The 86 had a new engine, but the trans was original and he did have a major transmission failure during one of those trips.

Since the purchase, My son has driven his 86 back and forth between here and Barksdale AFB (300 miles) twice now. Collin is right, it depends on the condition of the car you are attempting to drive. The 86 had a new engine, but the trans was original and he did have a major transmission failure during one of those trips.
I think by now everything on my car has been replaced, rebuilt or repainted. I'd just be afraid of a distributor going out or TFI module or some other freak thing. You know how it goes with these cars.. haha

Giant bag of tools, zip ties, tape, jack, wire, butt splices, jack stand, tow strap, etc. etc. If I went on a road trip, Id take a few more replacement parts like a fuel pump, tfi, coil. Cheaper parts that are easily replaced but could still leave you stranded.

Took the car 300 miles round trip to the AM show this year no issue . And i had motor issues this year. Next year if i can get off me and the old girl will be at MW

I think I'm done w/ MW personally.......... After the last one last year, not having a "mustang" and staying in a pretty cheesy condo while there has somewhat soured me on the thing.
Yeah I thought it would be a cool trip from down here in Florida. How was the the actual show events ? It sounds pretty expensive for going to see a car show if that's all.

I'd say if you're single, then there is no single brand event more vast than this thing. Not having to worry about entertaining a GF, or the rest of the family is the key. There is about 1000 mustangs in attendance, heavily biased on S197.
I've been twice, and the first time I went I had the red car that coincidentally just happened to be a mustang. I had a real good time and only spent three days there. I did have a radiator failure on the way back, which led to a heater core failure when adding a can of stop leak caused a rupture there as well. (Made for several hundred white knuckle miles back not knowing if the temp ga. was gonna start to climb and the radiator was gonna puke it's guts, but is stayed at 180, and just fogged the windshield instead).
The second time I had no car, and went as a spectator. (big mistake), if you don't have a mustang in the parking lot, just try to back out a non-mustang,or move through the lot to get somewhere....you're treated like you don't exist.

I'd say if you're single, then there is no single brand event more vast than this thing. Not having to worry about entertaining a GF, or the rest of the family is the key. There is about 1000 mustangs in attendance, heavily biased on S197.
I've been twice, and the first time I went I had the red car that coincidentally just happened to be a mustang. I had a real good time and only spent three days there. I did have a radiator failure on the way back, which led to a heater core failure when adding a can of stop leak caused a rupture there as well. (Made for several hundred white knuckle miles back not knowing if the temp ga. was gonna start to climb and the radiator was gonna puke it's guts, but is stayed at 180, and just fogged the windshield instead).
The second time I had no car, and went as a spectator. (big mistake), if you don't have a mustang in the parking lot, just try to back out a non-mustang,or move through the lot to get somewhere....you're treated like you don't exist.
Well me and the girlfriend were planning on going. What year mustang did you drive up there ? Did you stay at one of the popular hotels that the Mustang crowd is usually around. I read up about a few places that were "mustang week friendly" with special parking and what-not. It's one thing to drive up there, but to drive up there, drive around to shows and stuff, then drive back might be one hell of a test for my old fox haha.

Well me and the girlfriend were planning on going. What year mustang did you drive up there ? Did you stay at one of the popular hotels that the Mustang crowd is usually around. I read up about a few places that were "mustang week friendly" with special parking and what-not. It's one thing to drive up there, but to drive up there, drive around to shows and stuff, then drive back might be one hell of a test for my old fox haha.

I stayed at the Holiday Sands South. One of the "Premier Sponsor Hotels, and condos. I'd rate it slightly above a hagged out Econo Lodge.
The Mustang I drove has been featured on this site numerous times so I'll spare the others the whoredom. Just Google my name, and you'll see more than your share of the car.
michael matkosky

I stayed at the Holiday Sands South. One of the "Premier Sponsor Hotels, and condos. I'd rate it slightly above a hagged out Econo Lodge.
The Mustang I drove has been featured on this site numerous times so I'll spare the others the whoredom. Just Google my name, and you'll see more than your share of the car.
michael matkosky
Oh wow sweet car. Nice to see something different! But in the pictures of the car I didn't see any A/C. Have you since added a system? How was the ride over there?
I hope to do the r-134 conversion soon before the trip.

Oh wow sweet car. Nice to see something different! But in the pictures of the car I didn't see any A/C. Have you since added a system? How was the ride over there?
I hope to do the r-134 conversion soon before the trip.
A/C was on the car albeit a really bad AC system. (trunk mounted evaporator) didn't work worth the powder to blow it to hell