Roadside emmisions testing

darthcual

Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
Who's run into these? What is your take on them? I saw one here in north Texas for the first time this morning. I think its kinda crappy if you have an inspection sticker. Seems just another way for the Government to take away our freedoms. Meanwhile lobbyist companies pump disgusting amounts of smog into the air.

DPS Begins Remote Emissions Testing

Vehicles commuting into Dallas, Tarrant and Harris counties will soon be tested for excess pollutants as they pass by roadside detectors in those counties.

The Texas Department of Public Safety will implement the "Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing" component of the Texas Motorist's Choice Program in early October.

"This required component enhances the tailpipe emissions testing program already in place in Dallas, Tarrant, Harris and El Paso counties," said Major Ricky D. Smith of the Texas Department of Public Safety. "It is also one of the best examples of the state's pragmatic and common sense approach to reducing mobile source emissions in Texas."

The Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing component of the Texas Motorist's Choice Program is intended to provide cleaner air for Texas citizens and reduce pollution in areas where smog levels exceed federal health standards. The program also reminds citizens to properly maintain their vehicles, which leads to better fuel economy, longer engine life and fewer mechanical problems.

Instead of expanding station-based tailpipe emissions testing to the nine other ozone non-attainment counties (Denton, Collin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller), Texas will use on-road testing to focus on vehicles from those counties that commute in to Dallas, Tarrant and Harris counties and are grossly violating air quality standards. Vehicles registered in Dallas, Tarrant, Harris and El Paso counties that are identified as gross polluters also will be subject to this program component.

Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing is a non-invasive technique that involves sampling the exhaust of vehicles as they pass on-road detectors. The devices are located in and connected to vans that are strategically parked along roadways. While vehicle owners may be aware of the presence of devices, they are not required to stop or change their driving habits for the test.

Austin-based Tracor Aerospace, Inc. was awarded the contract to deliver a total service package that includes gross polluter identification and on-road testing of approximately 700,000 vehicles. Tracor designed the system using tunable diode laser technology that will sample the exhaust gases of a vehicle as it travels by sampling devices. The system will further determine the presence of certain harmful pollutants, the amount of those pollutants and how the levels of the pollutants relate to the typical emissions status of the sampled vehicle.

"The registered owner of a vehicle identified as a 'gross polluter' will receive a notice that will instruct them to present the vehicle for a verification test at one of more than 2,300 certified emissions testing facilities in the non-attainment counties," Major Smith said. "After the verification test, the vehicle owner may be required to seek necessary repairs to bring the vehicle into program compliance, and present the vehicle for a re-test to obtain an emissions inspection certificate. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice is a criminal offense."

• Sponsors (?)

Kommiefornia probably invented this bull:poo: testing. The only shining light I see is it "supposed" to be 100% subjective. I know they're very pushy about it but I dont have 30 mins to just park on the side of the road and let them scrutinize my vehicle.

You don't have to wait for roadside testing, and in many cases you might not even know you'd been tested. They set up in places like the bottom of entrance ramps and test the exhaust of every vehicle that passes by the meter. Any vehicle that fails has its license plate recorded, then the registered owner is notified by mail to take the vehicle to a testing center for a more thorough analysis. If you pass, you pass, no need to stop or be bothered by anybody.

Phoenix doesn't do roadside, but I wish they would. Instead, they force everyone with a car more than 4 years old to go to an inspection station every 1-2 years and pay to have their car tested. If it's an OBD-II car, they simply check for emissions codes, they don't check the exhaust. If it's OBD-I car, they don't check for codes, but it has to be put on a roller dyno and have the exhaust sniffed.

The reality is, most cars pass the tests. The technology exists to test and identify the gross polluters by the roadside, without forcing almost the entire car-registering public to take the time and expense to have their cars tested, when most of them are going to pass anyway. So why not use the roadside technology instead?

@MFE92-Here in Tarrant County where I live we must have our cars tested every year. They must past visual and smog. They usually go by codes, but they have been known to look under hood, under car. I'm fine with either requiring inspection sticker, or roadside test. But not both. When we have ppl out of work, losing homes. Starving. They are simply looking for another way to stick it to you.

@N8dogg98-I laffed. Hard.

In the long run i'm just gonna sell my Fox and buy some kind of old hotrod from the '30s. That way i can tell them to eat a dick and stuff their emissions junk up their asses.

Showing my ignorance here, but this is applicable to all cars in those counties, or just ones less than a certain age? I recall looking at the Texas state laws regarding emissions testing (since I still live here), and IIRC, there was either a year model or a certain age beyond which the vehicle was exempt from emissions testing in said counties.

It's total bunk. Frankly, I think most cars are fine, even with a cat-delete, but if state governments want to test you, they should at least give you time to get ready for it.

Showing my ignorance here, but this is applicable to all cars in those counties, or just ones less than a certain age? I recall looking at the Texas state laws regarding emissions testing (since I still live here), and IIRC, there was either a year model or a certain age beyond which the vehicle was exempt from emissions testing in said counties.
25 years. However you still must have working lights turn signals and brakes lights if the car was so equipped with them from the factory. Wipers and a horn are a must.

25 years. However you still must have working lights turn signals and brakes lights if the car was so equipped with them from the factory. Wipers and a horn are a must.

^^^ This. I'm in Brazoria county and we have to go thru the same BS. I wonder if a car with no cats would pass the drive by test if it were running well?

I'm fairly sure that regardless of the car's age and regardless of what county laws are and blah blah blah, if a car came with emissions equipment, it must remain intact for the life of the car regardless of testing. If they did a visual test and found you running an offroad H, you'd be in trouble.

Removing the pollution control equipment from a 5.0 Mustang is a bad idea. All you have accomplished is to make the computer mad and spit codes. The pollution control equipment all shuts off at wide open throttle, so the HP losses from it on the car are 2-5 HP. The catalytic converters may soak a few more HP than that. None of the pollution control equipment reduces the HP enough to cost you a race in anything but a professional all out drag strip competition. I seriously doubt that many of you will be in the final runoff on “Pinks”, so leave the smog equipment in place and make sure it is working correctly.

If you have a car that is obliviously a one of a kind show car or over 25 years old, you should get a “Classic” or Show car plate with mileage limitations and no emissions check required. Oz (red vert, white interior and everything under the hood chromed or polished?) and madmike 1157 are two guys that come to mind that fall in that category.

That's because they know that there are people like us, that "get ready" for it one week, and drive around illegal the other 51.

And for every one of us, there are 6,000 other cars on the road with bad O2 sensors, low tires, clogged air filters, and overdue plugs. Are we going to start hunting them down, too? I just hate how controlling this all is. At least it still goes by states.