Rocker arm question

mustangbrad

Aug 16, 2004
Is it possible to run the older rail style rockers on aftermarket heads with guideplates? My thinking is that there will be some interferance issues, because it's never that easy. If they will not work, is it possible to modify the rail rockers to work with guideplates? I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but I have almost new roller tip rocker arms and would like to use them with some new heads.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Is it possible to run the older rail style rockers on aftermarket heads with guideplates? My thinking is that there will be some interferance issues, because it's never that easy. If they will not work, is it possible to modify the rail rockers to work with guideplates? I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but I have almost new roller tip rocker arms and would like to use them with some new heads.

Thanks in advance!

A little confusing...but just run the "almost new roller tip rocker arms." If I'm way off, please add some more descriptive text.

You can get roller tip rail rockers. I wouldnt do it, valves for rail rockers are longer than non rail. You'll risk having the rails hitting the retainer. Might hvae some binding with the guide plates and rails working against each other. You MIGHT take the guide plates off, if you have enough rail to retainer clearance...

you cannot use rail rockers on valves that are not designed for them. if you do you will drop a valve in the engine as the rail style rockers will be pushing on the retainers rather than the valve stem where it is designed to push. this will loosen the retainers and keepers to the point of them seperating and dropping a valve in the engine. do yourself a favor and sell the rail rockers to someone who can use them, and buy a set of erson roller rockers as they are the least expensive full roller rocker on the market.

you cannot use rail rockers on valves that are not designed for them. if you do you will drop a valve in the engine as the rail style rockers will be pushing on the retainers rather than the valve stem where it is designed to push. this will loosen the retainers and keepers to the point of them seperating and dropping a valve in the engine. do yourself a favor and sell the rail rockers to someone who can use them, and buy a set of erson roller rockers as they are the least expensive full roller rocker on the market.

Thanks, I totally forgot about the valve stems being longer. Will get proper rocker arms with heads. Thanks again!

if your feelin really cheap, are good with a grinder and dont care about the rockers you can grind the rails off. some even have pins pressed in instead of riveted which can be pressed out. if you choose to buy rockers DO NOT get proform rockers. i wouldnt give them to my worst enemy

You should not use guide plates and rail rockers together. You will end up with two things trying to align the rocker arms and push rods, which can work against each other.

In order to use rail rockers, the valve stems need to stick out far enough above the retainer. Therefore, Ford increased the valve lenght back in 1966. However, most valves used these days are even longer and they probably stick out far enough, but as always, you need to check if that's true for your application.