Rocker nuts coming loose.

65shlbycln

Founding Member
Aug 24, 2002
Atlanta
I have a set of CAT roller tip rockers on the 289. Have had them on there for 2 weeks. Well, last week, the nuts holding down the rockers started to loosen up. I retightened them up today, but after 5 minutes of driving they loosened up again, and made that loud squeaking/ticking noise.

Does someone like ARP make a set of good nuts that i can swap in? Should i make sure there's no oil on the bolts when i tighten them down, or does it matter?

• Sponsors (?)

65shlbycln said:
I have a set of CAT roller tip rockers on the 289. Have had them on there for 2 weeks. Well, last week, the nuts holding down the rockers started to loosen up. I retightened them up today, but after 5 minutes of driving they loosened up again, and made that loud squeaking/ticking noise.

Does someone like ARP make a set of good nuts that i can swap in? Should i make sure there's no oil on the bolts when i tighten them down, or does it matter?

Yes. They have poly lock nuts just for rocker arms that will locks down fairly well. Barnett will have them fairly cheap.

Also, check to make sure your studs are long enough to allow roller rockers, some aren't. The rule of thumb is you need the amount of the stud's diameter in useable threads. For example if you have 3/8" studs, you need at least 3/8" of thread engagement in the nut. I found this out the hard way! :D