rod knock or what???

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Stockton, Ca
Problem with my neighbors car.

It's a 4.6 crown vic but it shouldn't be any different than a 5.0.

Anyways here is the problem.

Oil pressure gauges reads good with no sudden dropping etc.

Starts up doesn't knock. If you rev it you'll hear a knocking.

Then you drive it till it gets real warm and it knocks at idle not too bad but very noticible when you rev it.

On the freeway if you go to pass someone and it down shifts to 3k and then you let go it'll knock.

I listened with the poor mans stetoscope (garden hose) and it's definatly from the bottm rear almost by the convertor.

What does this sound like? My guess was a rod.

• Sponsors (?)

Definatly not blowing any kind of smoke or power loss.

pretty quiet when colder much more notcible when warm.

Wouldn't a piston be constantly except of course of the famous piston slap that occurs on cold start ups?

Funanin said:
motor honey... available at pep boys

Man I wouldn't get a motor from a chain store like that if my life depended on it. :D

I'm going to check the torque convertor tomorrow then if it's not drop the oil pan and check the bearings. :shrug:

Any ideas?

Is it possible to have good oil pressure and have a knock noise? Motor only has about 100K

Fostang said:
Man I wouldn't get a motor from a chain store like that if my life depended on it. :D

I'm going to check the torque convertor tomorrow then if it's not drop the oil pan and check the bearings. :shrug:

Any ideas?

Is it possible to have good oil pressure and have a knock noise? Motor only has about 100K

He was talking about that "motor honey" oil additive, it looks like honey even.

You can have knocks w/o smoking, low oil pressure, or loss of power for sure. It's next to impossible to diagnose something like that here on the board. I found my bad piston skirt by dropping the oil pan. You'll prolly have to start there and see what you find.

There's so many noises that could be so many things... knocks, ticks, pings, rattles...high pitched, low pitched, medium pitched.

Anything out of the ordinary happen before the noise started? Like run low on oil, overheating, etc....?