Rollin' on 18's?

I am looking into getting 18s on my 69 Mach 1, before I purchase them (still haven't decided TT IIs or Billet 500 Magnums) I want to make sure I order the right backspacing. I am going with 18x8 in the front and 18x91/2 in the rear. I have a 1" shelby drop with 620 springs up front and 4 leaf mideyes in the back with KYBs all around. Anyone have pics of these wheels on a 69. What ones would you go with? Do you think I'll have problems with rubbing? What size tires would you suggest?

• Sponsors (?)

iskwezm said:
oh i see, yeah the block(s) would have made a difference.Did the tires rub or you didnt want to risk it????? Im sure if the wheels have the right offset a 265/35 or 40 would have been fine.

so how does it run????

You might be right on being able to fit a bigger tire with more Backspacing.
I have seen that you have 275's :eek: Looks great.
My tires really seem to fill the wheel wells. Not a lot of room left.
I was getting some tire rub with the 2" lowering blocks.
(hard corners and bumps in the road)
I was more concerned about tire rub than looks,
I wanted zero tire rub even with 2 backseat passengers (kids)..
The car runs pretty strong.
I have not beat on it yet. Emphasis on "yet" :D
The engine is not really well suited for lower RPM's.
( agressive cam,Vic Jr. single plane intake,Ford Alum Z heads,Holley 750 DP w/mech secondaries..
It really wakes up around 4000 RPM's
I am taking the car in week after next for a full tune and some dyno time.:nice:
Scott

Cobra5.0Jeep said:
Where did you find that pic of the Black Fastback? Do you have any specs on it?
I don't remember. I found it when I was bored at school and saved it on my flash drive. The filename is mustang68_4.jpg if you wana search on it. I think I was just doing general google image searches on '67 and '68 mustangs.

Steve69 said:
ek21om.jpg

I don't need not stinking 18" Rims.
15X10 Rear 14X6 Yea and the 70s and 80s Rule

Car looks great just like that...all business (although I would do something with the exhaust)

With the trend today being (no traction) low profile tires and 18" & up rim sizing everywhere you look, it is nice to see the old school look once in a while :nice:

Attachments

• ek21om.jpg
    ek21om.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
With the Exhaust, Are you talking tips on the ends or what? Im running
2.25 exhaust system with some turbo mufflers. I was thinking of maybe
replacing the system down the road but it is a new system I have on now.

Thanks for the input and I sorry for highjacking the thread.

Steve69

I would either use a 2.5" aluminized or stainless system that exited just before the rear wheels or run the exhaust out the back with a set of 3" or 3.5" slash-cut polished tips :nice:

I am sure you could probably find a local muffler shop that had 3" - 3.5" outlet tips with 2.25" inlets and then probably weld em into place...larger bore exhaust tips also have a tendency to deepen the exhaust note too.

mdjay said:
The front would be 4.5 and the rear would be 6".

Nick and friends have done all the work for you.
http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire Fitment Guide 69-70.pdf

Thanks...is there anyway to see the pics of the car with that setup. Does that mean 4.5 and 6" are the only backspacing that will work with those size wheels. What if I went 5.5 in the back? I would like the wheels to be flush with the wheel opening or a little tucked (not too far though). I don't want it to stick out past the fender and I definately don't want any rubbing issues. If I have to roll the fenders thats not a problem.

montys69mach said:
Thanks...is there anyway to see the pics of the car with that setup. Does that mean 4.5 and 6" are the only backspacing that will work with those size wheels. What if I went 5.5 in the back? I would like the wheels to be flush with the wheel opening or a little tucked (not too far though). I don't want it to stick out past the fender and I definately don't want any rubbing issues. If I have to roll the fenders thats not a problem.

With that wide of a rim, there will be no moving it. You can probably run the 4.75 BS in the front. Again, click the link. It will explain what the guy did if anything!

Z06killinSBF said:
My car fitting 18x8.5's

Sweet lookin!

****,I must be mexican then my 1970 was rolling on some 20's
I'm from the bay and it's normal to see a mustang or a camaro riding on 22.
this is my ride until the rims got stolen.I photoshoped the mexican thing just so you can see That I'm pround of the mexi thing look,lol

montys69mach said:

How far you tuck depends on how low you want the car. The lower the car is the further in the tire needs to be. Conversely a "flush with the wheel opening or a little tucked" requires considerable clearance to avoid the dreaded rub...and I don't know about you but I think 18's with lo profile tires can look a little dorky if there is much gap between the top of the tire and the fender.