Romac Balancer Info

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
My balancer appears to have taken a permanent vacation for the holidays, so I will be replacing it soon. I was leaning towards a Romac, as that seems to be the concensus favorite around here. I was just wondering where to buy and what its going to run me (~$260?). Or if anyone is using a different balancer that they would recommend, please let me know.

Also, could someone just run me through the install process real quick, I haven't really done any research on it yet, or looked in my shop manual. Thanks for the info.

• Sponsors (?)

I run a pioneer sfi (Powerbond "race" balancer) and it is very nice. great quality and an excellemt price. i think they are currently going for ~165 +tax/shipping (got mine when it was 145). hard to beat it for the price

Pioneer/Powerbond for me too. I got mine at $145 too. Get puller tool. take out center bolt. remove fan housing. pull balancer. use long screw to get balancer started back in. put original bolt back in and torque to 110-130 #'s.

Paul

5.0 from 95 said:
Pioneer/Powerbond for me too. I got mine at $145 too. Get puller tool. take out center bolt. remove fan housing. pull balancer. use long screw to get balancer started back in. put original bolt back in and torque to 110-130 #'s.

Paul

Where did you guys buy your Pioneer/Powerbond balancers from?

red94fiveo said:
My balancer appears to have taken a permanent vacation for the holidays, so I will be replacing it soon. I was leaning towards a Romac, as that seems to be the concensus favorite around here. I was just wondering where to buy and what its going to run me (~$260?). Or if anyone is using a different balancer that they would recommend, please let me know.

Also, could someone just run me through the install process real quick, I haven't really done any research on it yet, or looked in my shop manual. Thanks for the info.

Mark,

Drop me a note..

Romac in stock..

Billet Steel hub and aluminum balancer ring...

Ed

The Romacs are a sweet unit....I see alot lately about Pioneer too...I scammed my Romac from a dude on Corner Carvers who was getting a new motor...175.00 and it was new... :nice:
You'll need to remove bolt inside the balancer, use a puller to remove the balancer itself....you may want to replace the timing cover seal while you have it open, its cheap money for the seal....
The only tip i have on the Romac is heat it up some in the stove, 250 degrees for 15 minutes and mine slid on like butter....they tend to be an interference fit, so the heat expands it a tad...makes the install tit. Some have buggered up the keyway trying to force it on cause the mother can be tight without heat...RTV the Woodruff key, slide it on and TQ it down...Couple light whaps with an air gun will put the tq right there....the TQ is like 225 ft lbs..

Attachments

• Romac vs stock.jpg
    Romac vs stock.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 229
i got my romac from houston performance. the install was i bit of a pain, being that there wasnt much documentation on the install and i tried at first to put it on without heating it, but the result was well worth it.

1. remove belt
2. remove fan
3. remove crank pulley
4. remove bolt from crank
5. use puller to remove the stock balancer
6. clean crankshaft and make sure it is free of dirt
7. preheat oven to 350*
8. put romac in the oven for 10 minutes
9. slide romac onto crankshaft (make sure the keyway is lined up)
10. replace bolt in the crank and torque to 120lb/ft
11. replace crank pulley
12. replace fan
13. replace belt

thats all there is to it. its a fairly simple install.

Reactions: 1 user
GT_4_FUN said:
I just got mine and they honored their EBAY price. I just paid $209 Shipped.

Craig
Now that you mention it...that's RIGHT!!
I called them from the Ebay phone number..THey said "just send us the Ebay payment and will ship you one" :nice:
RC

EDC: How do I get my car on there like Killer? :shrug: :(
RC