Rough clutch pedal or grindy shifting

Before my clutch pedal was depressing smoothly, but then my transmission was shifting like crap, especially when cold. It would grind and just not go into the gear that nicely.

Now I read on here about adjusting the clutch. So I did the press it down, then slide my foot off the pedal thing. It helped a bit with the shifting actually, after I did that a couple times. But now the pedal feels rougher than before I did that.

Do I need a new Firewall Adjuster and Cable Quadrant? A new clutch cable? Both? A rebuilt transmission? Help!

• Sponsors (?)

first thing you need to do is pull up on the clutch pedal as killy said..

If that don't work you can manually adjust the stock quadrant or buy a aftermarket quad and adjuster. ( this is what I suggest)

Now the roughness thing is normally caused by the cable and or the clutch fork pivot ball.. What ends up happening is the clutch fork pivot ball wears into the clutch fork socket and starts to grind.

Since replacing the pivot ball and fork requires the tranny to be removed I would start with the quad and adjuster and a new cable and go from there...

BTW the grinding and poor engagement into gear is a tell tale sign of a mis adjusted clutch cable that is too loose. When the stock quad goes bad or is starting to go it tends to allow too much slack on the cable.

Thanks guys. Ya I tried the pulling up on the pedal first, and then tried this other method second, works better while driving... but ya might not be the best way :D.

So svttech... you suggest I should change the quad, fwa, AND a new cable? Should just the quad and FWA work by itself? I heard bad things about adjustable cables, so I'd like to stay with stock if I can. If not, what's a good brand of adjustable cable? I'm going to go with a Fiore Quad and FWA...

Also, do you need to crawl under the car at all if you do the other stuff minus the cable?

Well, I just ordered a Fiore FWA and Quadrant from themustangshop.ca. Time to edit the sig :p.

lvmustanggt, i found this link for the install:
http://www.thompsontransmission.com...justment.html#Which clutch cable should I use

Also check on Steeda and Maximum Motorsports websites, they have a couple PDF's on how to do the install as well.

Thanks brother for the link. I just bought centerforce duel friction clutch, ford TOB and
pilot bearing . I also bought upr clutch wuadrant and firewall adj from ebay. I got everything but upr **** from ebay. I order it on march 24 and havn't got it yet. :mad: