Roush 3-piece intake install madness!!!

baglock1

The Bartender
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Space Coast, FL
I finally got a weekend to myself (well, mostly to myself anyways) and so I'm installing the Roush Intake (for background, see the thread here). I started last night on the disassembly as I had a couple of free hours. I got the top end tore off with the exception of the lower. This morning I started to get that removed and wouldn't you know it, the lower intake bolt above the t-stat housing snapped.

So I cut a slot in it and applied some heat. Wouldn't budge. I applied more heat. Nothing. I added thread penetrant, let it sit, and then tried again. Nothing. I then proceeded to drill a hole in the remaining stud and I'm now waiting for the wife to get home so I can run down to the store and buy a set of easy outs.

Other than that, it's been pretty straight forward. All the necessary wiring harnesses have been lengthened/modified. The MAF is set up in the new airbox. The TB has been bolted onto the feeder tube. The dist. has been modified. Now I just need to get that stupid bolt out.

Oh well. If it went too smoothly, I could have expected the bottom end to crap a rod next week. I'll post updates as they come and pics when it's finished.

• Sponsors (?)

UPDATE:

Got the bolt out finally but had to drill it almost completely out and then run a tap through to clean up the threads. I bought a new bolt from Lowes and the sucker snapped before it even got to 22 lb/ft of tq!!! That's what I get for going to Lowes instaed of the Depot because it was closer. Oh well.

So after digging through my bolt bin, I found a couple bolts that would work. Lower went on followed by the upper plenum, injectors, fuel rails, and all the wiring. I'm currently having issues with the feeder tube (the top crossover piece) contacting the injectors.

It's late, my back hurts and the mosquitos are starting to carry off my tools. I'll finish tomorrow as there's really only 1-2 hours of work left. Can't wait to fire that beeyatch up and take her for a shake down run.

Oh... My... God...

The swap is done. She started right up on the first try and does she ever sound good. She revs MUCH faster now and from my short drive up the road and back, there's a solid SOTP improvement. I'm hesitant to estimate a figure as the dyno will tell for sure, but I'll say a minimum of 20-25 hp to the wheels.

All that's left is to change the oil and find out what code the MIL is indicating.

95GTvert[bv12] said:
what heads do you have....

The stock E7's for the time being. I wanted to swap the intake and get a solid dyno number for it and it alone. The heads will be done soon.

onebad: Keep an eye on the BOTM in upcoming 5.0M&SF. I sent them a pic so maybe it'll be printed.

And as promised:
ri_installed_1.jpg

ri_installed_2.jpg

Well the MIL was easy enough. I forgot to plug the EGR back in. :doh: Anyways, the oil is changed so now it's time for a shower and to go meet a couple friends at the movies (I:Robot - I heard it sucked but we'll see). There's a nice industrial road along the way so I might get to stomp on it up to 70-80.

17yrOldStanger said:
and damn, you need to clean your bay up a little better. :D

I know it, but I'm not planning on entering any beauty contests with it. When I first got it, I was pretty anal about washing and waxing it once a week and detailing the engine bay at least once a month. Now that it's picked up a couple dents, dings, scuffs, rust, and other less savory body additions, I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything except run it through the gas station car wash once a month.

Once I get a new paint job (which is 2nd on the list after the T56), I'll probably start giving a damn again. :shrug: Either that or I'll sentence it be a full time track whore.