ROUSH #61 Ford Mustang wins at Daytona

MRaburn

Founder
Admin Dude
Nov 29, 1999
Auburn, AL
The ROUSH Performance #61 Ford Mustang is once again atop the podium, and this time, it’s at Daytona to get the Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge season going to full speed. Jack Roush Jr and Billy Johnson took #61 to their second consecutive win at Daytona, ahead of some serious European contenders (Aston Martins, Porsches, etc).
That’s funny…we here at StangNet HQ were reflecting about how the Top Gear trio of hosts were just bagging on the GT500 (and many other American cars) in this past week’s episode. Funny how a simple American pony car has two wins under its belt in two years, over a myriad of European makes. Interesting food for thought, huh?
Anyway, enjoy the racing action breakdown in the Press Release which follows, everyone!
Press Release

ROUSH Performance #61 Mustang Goes to Daytona Victory Lane
The Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge season is under way with Jack Roush Jr and Billy Johnson getting their second win at the famed Daytona International Speedway. “It’s really great to win to win at Daytona two years in a row,” Roush said.
“There was probably more drafting and passing back and forth than I’ve ever seen here,” Johnson said. “Jack did a fantastic job on his first stint, and it’s great to get this win for all the work put in by the team. I was trying pretty darn hard the last few laps. Those Astons and Porsches were pretty quick. I knew if I could get good restarts and get a little cushion I could maintain it. But if I couldn’t, it was going to be a crapshoot.”
The #61 was running comfortably in the top-5 while under green, until Jack Roush Jr. gave up the spot under yellow-flag conditions when the car’s left-front tire lost its pressure. The Mustang was then handed over to Billy Johnson to take the car to the front which he did for the final 70 minutes to hold off the 68 car field for the win. He finished 1.812 seconds ahead of 2012 GS driver champion in the #15 Multimatic Motorsports Aston Martin Vantage. The Aston swapped the lead with Johnson just after the halfway mark, but a small bobble on their team’s final pit stop gave the Johnson/Roush a little extra for the win.
The #51 ROUSH Performance had clawed its way through the pack’s front after starting dead last, first-shift driver Joey Atterbury was running fourth when transmission problems brought the car into the pits midway through the race before closer Shelby Blackstock even had a chance to climb in.
The No. 61 Mustang is sponsored by ROUSH Performance, Gary Yeomans Ford Lincoln, Kooks Custom Headers, PWR, BMRS, GoPro, USANA and Mechanix Wear. The No. 51 Mustang is sponsored by Starstruck. The No. 49 Mustang is sponsored by Micasa Ford.
Source: ROUSH Performance
Read more of ROUSH #61 Ford Mustang wins at Daytona at StangNet!
View attachment 182820
View attachment 182821 View attachment 182822 View attachment 182823 View attachment 182824 View attachment 182825

Continue reading...