Royal Purple . . . Royal $$?

• Sponsors (?)

I agree. I think the most important consideration in oil is what does your engine builder or manufacturer recommend? I use Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 in my Mustang because of it's flat-tappet cam and Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20 in my V10-powered F250. Haven't had an issue yet.

Back to back dyno with my 65. Solid roller cam, same weight oil. I made 6-7hp more depending on pulls at the same water temp thru the engine on Valvoline over Royal Purple. I wont waste my money on it.

This was on an engine dyno btw, not chassis.

I am between Royal Purple and VR-1 for the next '66 I am buying. The PO has been running Royal Purple for 2000+ miles ( not a newly rebuilt engine) but there seems to be only one place around here that has it. The price is up there for sure. I have run Rotella in my current '66 but the levels are down for zinc from what I read. Thinking real hard on the VR-1 now.

One thing that always gets me on so many of these threads is some can only talk about what they run in the newer vehicles. I am sure the original poster in those type threads really care what I run in the '10 Focus, the '99 RV or my lawnmower........ when they ask about a classic engine.

Back to back dyno with my 65. Solid roller cam, same weight oil. I made 6-7hp more depending on pulls at the same water temp thru the engine on Valvoline over Royal Purple. I wont waste my money on it.

This was on an engine dyno btw, not chassis.

Was that with Valvoline conventional or synthetic? I was thinking Valvoline synthetic next time I change the oil in the 4x4 to see if the mileage improves any.

I run Valvoline Durablend in mine. Its a roller cam though, not flat tappet.

I can tell you that as far as I know none of the gear heads or hot rodders I know use RP.