Rubber vs Poly vs Solid Motor Mounts

50FoxBodyGT

Aug 24, 2006
Memphis
The rubber mounts on my car are pretty rough looking and since the motor is already out, I'm thinking I may as well change them before I put the motor back in (ET next week). Rubber ones seem to be less susceptible to weather (Michigan has some rough weather for sure), poly seem to be a bit pricey, so what about solid mounts? Other than maybe a lil shaking inside the car at a stop light are there any other downsides to a solid mount?

• Sponsors (?)

Can't complain about my poly mounts. They are somewhere in between rubber and solid. There is a little vibration but I do have a different cam so that gives it a little vib. Prothane poly mounts raise the motor a bit but the energy suspension do not I've heard.

I have a 331 with a rather large cam and have no issues with my solid mounts. It has a lil vibration at idle as you would expect with a lopey cam but once you start moving they are actually quite streetable. Not to mention I only paid 60 bucks for engine and trans solid mounts

A couple of my friends that run solid motor mounts have told me they didn't notice any more vibration than the stock mounts. Kinda hard to beleive, but that's what they said. I've only ever run stock rubber mounts.

Absolutely replace them while the motor is out though. My experience with 5.0's is that they love to break motor mounts. I'm pretty sure my current car is the only one I've ever had that didn't have broken mounts when I bought it.

Jeff

You need to put the matching solid mount on the trans. If you don't there's gonna be some give and the trans is gonna flex and can possibly bust. You always should match your components. Solid, solid, poly poly or rubber rubber that way everything is the same.