Rumor Mill 2006 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

CatmanJJ said:
Here's link to a decent read...

GT vs Viper

I realize Ford has targeted Ferrari with the GT but the Viper doesn't just have similar straight line numbers, it also has similar track numbers, slalom, braking n such as well documented in the rags and I think C&D T.V. too. That being said I think the both cars are awesome but the GT isn't actually that far ahead of the Viper as many people may think. :flag:

i call :bs: on that MT link. it says "advertisement" all over it. so no doubt that it's atleast somewhat biased. and i sounds like it's biased towards the Viper.

GMstomper said:
The GT isn't meant to go after the Viper market anyway. Thats going to be the job of the new Shelby Cobra.

Yup, The Ford GT is a Ferarri style car at a Ferarri style price built kick some Ferarri but, and it does a good job of it.

The Viper and Vette are in a different market, but since they are all the top performance car from each American brand, they are going to get compared.

94Gtstock-newclutch said:
why not just keep the 03, 04 cobra motor. just mod the heck out of it with the kennybell and blow everyone away.

I agree, I think the current engine should be used but with a twin screw blower. THe current engine is great, I'd hate to see it get phased out so quick, I'd rather see a 425HP Cobra that cost $35K than a 5.4L 500HP Cobra that cost $40K-45K.

I don't think the 06 Cobra will be over 450HP, that would be stepping on the Ford GTs toes.

Did anyone notice that that Whipple link says the following:

"That’s right, get the same supercharger that’s utilized on the new Ford GT and the 06’ Lighting and Mustang Cobra."

Looks to me like they are saying in plain words that this is what will be on the '06 Cobra :shrug:

If J. Mays suggested the Shelby cobra concept, if built, would probably have the S/C V8, why yould they put a v10 in the mustang?

But remember there are many folks on this board that don't believe things that he Mr. Mays says.

like the thing about a 300 hp Mustang starting under 20,000. He said that at the biggest autoshow in the country but lots of people don't believe him. So maybe he was wrong about the S/C V8 and really is going to be a V-10

***Sarcasim Off***

The V-10 they built was done cheaply using parts they were able to borrow from other current engines. The idea of this being to expensive will not be an issue. How much extra would you pay for a V-10? There is definately a market out there for this. Ford has been toying with different things for a while now, but lets face it, the fox couldn't handle it. The new one should be able too.

94Gtstock-newclutch said:
ford also said that the v10 in the test mustang was just something to play around with and had no purpose what so ever. that turned out to be a bold faced lie

I gave the whole story of the low deck V10 engine on another thread. It absolutely started out as a unapproved project by a handful of engineers.