Running hot and oil pressure sensor

StadEMS3

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 19, 2003
Mechanicsville, MD
A little history first: I Put in a 331 stroker with SCT chip and tune. The tune was done during those hot 100* days in August. The shop had the car for over a week waiting for it cool down outside. They ended up tuning it so it would be driveable and asked me to come back for a re-tune when the weather got cooler. The car has been running hot about halfway on the stock guage and giving me occasional hot starting problems.
I just put in a new Fluidyne radiator and Autometer water temp guage. The sensor is located in the radiator hose just forward of a 180* thermostat. I ran the car and the fan won't kick it until the temp hits 210*, the highspeed fan will come on and cool to 190*, then the low speed fan will continue to 180* and shut off. The car goes back up to 210* and repeats this cycle...is this normal?? The new radiator does cool it quick once the fan kicks in.
Also, during the build up of motor I installed a high volume oil pump. To keep an eye on it I got an autometer oil pressure guage. Where on the engine can I install the sensor?? I did try a place on the side of the block and when I pulled the plug...I got soaked with coolant (stop laughing!) So, now I ask the experts. The car will be going back for re-tune soon. Thanx for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Stock oil pan, I couldn't find a bigger one that said it would direct fit a 94-95 with a stroker kit. The car is pretty much a sunny day driver/show car. No track time and less than 1000 miles per year. The factory coolant sensor was not replaced. I added the autometer one for a more accurate reading.

My Autometer temperature gauge behaves the same way. It doesn't really surprise me that it runs in that cycle.

You would have to have a pretty serious control system to keep your temperature real constant. You didn't mention what temperature you have for your thermostat. That would affect the cycling as well. If you think about how heat is regulated in a house, the thermostat reads too cold and that causes the heat to turn on. Even if the flow of heat stops when the thermostat gets up to temperature, you still end up overshooting that number by a bit. It's effectively a sine wave.

As for the oil pressure, you can put a tee fitting where the factory oil pressure switch threads in just above the oil filter. That way you don't have a dead dash gauge.

It sounds like the fan thresholds were tuned kinda strange. You dont want the fan to turn off at the stat rating, as the fan will effectively seldom shut off (given the error in stat opening rates).

I agree that if this occurs while you're stationary or going very slow, it's normal. The fan is the only real means of pulling air across the coil.

But if this occurs at speed, there's an issue.

And regarding the fluctuations, a Dc Controller is an example of how to get around the antiquated 'overshooting' that Matt mentioned. I have mine set at 187* F (balanced t-stat opens fully by 183*F) and it ramps the fan up as much or as little as needed to keep the car at 187*F (the limit being if the fan cant keep up. I see this a little bit when ambient temps are around 115*F+).

Good luck.

for the oil press. sender, use the stock location, right above the oil filter. you can use some fittings and adapters from a local hardware store (i went to Lowe's plumbing section) to tee off so the stock and aftermarket work. search around on here, several threads started about how to do it, aong with pics and thread sizes and such...
good luck