Running on E85?

FeTTstang

Nov 21, 2006
Hey I am getting my car fully dynotuned and I am gonna get it two tunes with the flip switch. I am gonna get it tuned for gas then tuned for E85. It will actually make 10-15 more hp with the E85. Anyone else have their car running on E85? What do you guys think of this?

• Sponsors (?)

do NOT do this. :nono: The 5.0 engine is not built to run off of E85, sure, it might run for a little bit, but this stuff will **** up your fuel system hardcore because its not flex fuel. The MAX ethanol blend you can run in a regular non-flex gas engine is E15.

actually, they say you can run it, you just need to change your fuel filer because it breaks up the gunk in your gas tank. Only thing its its hard on the rubber hoses, should probly be replaced with the SS lines. Other than that, just need a tune because you have to use more of it than gas and a diff AFR.

actually, they say you can run it, you just need to change your fuel filer because it breaks up the gunk in your gas tank. Only thing its its hard on the rubber hoses, should probly be replaced with the SS lines. Other than that, just need a tune because you have to use more of it than gas and a diff AFR.

What do you mean by AFR?

air fuel ratio i beileve is what he means by AFR

i dont like e85 sure its higher octane but if you loose mpg whats the point are you really that concerned with the enviorment??? you must really hate me running leaded 110 on the streets if so lol

its the concept of sending money overseas, I'd rather fund our economy, help out our farmers rather than giving some fithly rich ******* that keeps rasing gas prices from some other country.

And the loss in mpg compared to the price it levels out to be about the same + higher octane :)

yeah they did studies compared to pump gas and they said theres no advantage except for where the money goes....and to me i dont want to deal with switching over soo i will continue to send my money over Seas

its the concept of sending money overseas, I'd rather fund our economy, help out our farmers rather than giving some fithly rich ******* that keeps rasing gas prices from some other country.

And the loss in mpg compared to the price it levels out to be about the same + higher octane :)

I agree, keep your money in the good ol' USA, and forget the ********

I've been thinking of getting my car to run on both too. What did your tuner say needs to be done to prepare for E85 and switch between the two? I'm interested

:flag:

pretty much, a tune becuase you have to add more fuel when going to e85, then you have to upgrade your rubber lines to some one made for e85 (steel, etc.) and change you fuel filter once or twice beacuse the e85 will break up alot of gunk thats in your gas tank.

yeah they did studies compared to pump gas and they said theres no advantage except for where the money goes....and to me i dont want to deal with switching over soo i will continue to send my money over Seas

Damn bro... would you buy a civic and drop all your money into JDM parts? If you wouldnt send your money to them dont send your money to those bastards who control the gas companies either. lol:D

well actually the corn used for e85 gets many uses not just for fuel

"A variety of highly valued feed co-products, including gluten meal, gluten feed and dried distillers grains, are produced from the remaining protein, minerals, vitamins and fiber and are sold as high-value feed for livestock. In addition to grain, ethanol is also produced today from wood waste, cheese whey, waste sucrose, potato waste, brewery waste, and food and beverage wastes."

"Each bushel of corn can produce 2.5 gallons of ethanol fuel. Only the starch from the corn is used to make ethanol, leaving the protein and valuable co-products for other uses. For example, that same bushel of corn can also produce: 1.5 pounds of corn oil, 12.4 pounds of 21% protein feed, 3 pounds of 60% protein gluten meal, and 17 pounds of carbon dioxide (used for carbonating soft drinks and other beverages)."

And I think we can support both food and fuel considering the many uses goten out of it with making ethanol. And if we couldnt there wouldnt be this uprising of this fuel, research has gone into this, just wasnt some overnight deal, im sure that has come up before.

well actually the corn used for e85 gets many uses not just for fuel

"A variety of highly valued feed co-products, including gluten meal, gluten feed and dried distillers grains, are produced from the remaining protein, minerals, vitamins and fiber and are sold as high-value feed for livestock. In addition to grain, ethanol is also produced today from wood waste, cheese whey, waste sucrose, potato waste, brewery waste, and food and beverage wastes."

"Each bushel of corn can produce 2.5 gallons of ethanol fuel. Only the starch from the corn is used to make ethanol, leaving the protein and valuable co-products for other uses. For example, that same bushel of corn can also produce: 1.5 pounds of corn oil, 12.4 pounds of 21% protein feed, 3 pounds of 60% protein gluten meal, and 17 pounds of carbon dioxide (used for carbonating soft drinks and other beverages)."

And I think we can support both food and fuel considering the many uses goten out of it with making ethanol. And if we couldnt there wouldnt be this uprising of this fuel, research has gone into this, just wasnt some overnight deal, im sure that has come up before.

Thank you very much tjh566 even taught me a couple of things I didnt know about ethanol.

It still uses u arable land for other food products... ill see if i can dig up stuff from my envl Class

I'm going to have to challenge this...The US imports plenty of Canadian corn. We have lots of land, more than enough to support the growth of E85.

A lot of the so called 'studies' about E85 are funded by the big oil companies...take them for what they are worth

I agree, keep your money in the good ol' USA, and forget the ********

I've been thinking of getting my car to run on both too. What did your tuner say needs to be done to prepare for E85 and switch between the two? I'm interested

:flag:

He says it is fairly easy. I did not even know it could be done till a couple weeks ago. I am running about 11-1 compression and it is very difficult to keep it from detonating, so if it is switched to E85 I will have higher octane gas thus reducing detonation, more power and cheaper gas. Will need a serious tune, also mabey different gas lines and colder plugs(E85 creates alot of heat).