Running on E85?

Nothing against Canada - but I'm in the US military stationed in Canada, because of that I can say I'm pretty f%#@ng tired of our troops dying over oil. I enlisted to defend our constitution, not an oil derrick. So I will do what I can to limit the amount of oil I use, if that means spending a bit more money to do it than I'm proud to pay it. If you want to support the troops - use less oil. :flag:

:canada: for good measure!

OT:

How do you like Winnipeg? It's never came off as a place I'd have on my top 10 to visit.

• Sponsors (?)

Alot fo very good points were brought up in this thread, But I am still on the side of supporting E85, I think it is a good step forward in decreasing our dependancy of those greedy overseas motheruckers. I will run E85 once a station gets closer to me.

As for the electric, how do you charge the battery? plug it in at your house? that cast majority of powerplants are run off of fossil fuels. Energy doesnt come outta nowhere.

According to that website about the Tesla car, it only costs 1 cent per mile to opperate. I'm sure that they factored in the cost of electricity to charge it. I can't remember the exact figures, but gasoline is a very inefficient fuel. Internal combustion engines waste alot of it's engergy.

The electric motor only uses what it needs to get the job done. I think it's a cool idea.

And for Trav up there talking about not giving a crap about the environment, I'll bet he doesn't have any kids. I for one do have kids and I'd like to leave this place in as good a shape as I can for them. Imagine the many jobs that would open up IN THE US if we did the whole E85 thing. It would help our economy by leaps and bounds and the money would stay right here in the country.

The 3.10$ I just spent per gallon pissed me off, not because I'm spending the money, but because these pricks in the government and overseas get together and say..."lets raise the price of gas today!" and it happens. I don't know much about what goes on in that arena, but I know OUR government COULD do someting if they WANTED to! It's ok, new leadership is right around the corner!!

Just read an article in motortrend about alt. fuels, they said that 20-40% (big gap if you ask me) of the fuel needs can be made up from existing non-food plant parts with the subs. not even factored in.

I think 20-40% is a preatty big damn chunk, esp if other types of cars are avail. like biodiesel, hybrid, ect.

Also I dont think people realize how much oil we actually get from the mid east...IIRC its like 20% or less. The rest comes from the gulf of mexico (fairly big amount in the gulf), africa (now believed to have more oil than the mid east), other off shore drilling around the world, and our home grown stuff.

I've been doing research over the last couple of months on converting one of my cars to electric only. It will cost me about $8k to convert it and I'm not doing it to save money on gas. I'm doing it because it's time to make a change. When the range of the car will be around 50 miles I can no longer justify using gas back and forth to work and to run errands around town.

I’ll still have a gas powered car for long trips and I’ll keep my 66 mustang on gas (for a while anyway).

And to keep it on topic - if I were not planning on the electric conversion I would probably consider the e85. I agree that we don't have to go all out e85 for every car but any reduction on foriegn oil is good for our country, on many different levels.:flag:
instead of droping 8K to convert that car to electric, why not buy an older diesel powered car and convert it to run on veg oil. you can even get a whole conversion kit for under a grand if you dont feel like making it yourself.

instead of droping 8K to convert that car to electric, why not buy an older diesel powered car and convert it to run on veg oil. you can even get a whole conversion kit for under a grand if you dont feel like making it yourself.

1. I already have the car and have replaced/upgraded a lot of it. This way I get to keep it. I haven't touched the engine yet so no loss there.

2. Convenience, I don't need to make my own electricity (I could with solar panels/wind generators etc). For bio-diesel you have to collect the old oil from restaurants, filter, process, dispose of waste and store the fuel. Electricity is just my preference.

3. And as a hands-on type of guy I like the idea of converting a car to all electric.

But I like any idea that keeps money out of the pockets of big oil, lying politicians and foreign governments that support anti-American organizations. :mad:

AHhhhhhrrrrrggggg!! It made 273 to the wheels at 4,000 then the fuel pressure cuts out....... I guess its time to get a walbro 255 fuel pump. It should make close to 320 to the wheels after I get the new pump in tho. I guess it will be a while till I get those final #'s.

Curently i think nuclear power is the way to go... the question is what do we do with the waste... also the cooling problems which have caused horrible disasters at three mile island and chernoybl (sp) ... From my last read on nuclear power ive read they are trying to incase the waste in glass and put it deep under the ocean floor...I guess tahts better then Yucca mountain considering it was found to be on a fault line IIRC its amazing the amout of energy you get out of one fuel pellet...

I mean electric powered cars would be nice... but where would we be getting the power from... More Co2 emitting power plants... we dont have the land for wind power... solar power is nice but hard to store... We still have to think of other devloping countries as well... i mean 75% of china's power comes from coal... And i mean the US took forever to even gain an intrest in the kyoto protocol....

There's plenty of land for windmills. One of those huge windmills will have enough power to power a house plus give the grid some power. So the trade off would be a huge windmill in your back yard in exchange for you never having to pay for electric again!

And, there's so much wasted space that could be used for solar panels it's pathetic! That is FREE energy!! You may be right, hard to store the energy, but it can be done none the less, we as Americans are too damn lazy to make it happen! They could build a floating solar panel fortress out on the water and run huge cables back to the main land to send the power. It can be done, but the light companies just want to keep charging out the ass for their power blaming price hikes on all kinds of things!