Running Problems

To save myself the time of posting question after question, I am just going to explain my problem and hope that one of you out there have had a similar problem, or may be able to diagnose it. A few months ago I was having problems, every now and again when I was driving around in my 88 lx coupe, it would start to choke out and die. The rpm's would drop way low, and whenever it was choking I would hit the accelerator and nothing would happen. After I gave it a minute I would hear a single click noise and everything would run fine again for a few minutes until the problem presented itself again. Over this summer I did a full rebuild on the motor and a buddy's shop. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. Since I got the motor back into it about a month ago it has been doing the same thing whenever I start it. It is not insured right now, it is just sitting in my driveway until the spring or so when I will put it on the road again. I still like to fire it up every couple days or so to keep all my seals fresh and what not. Anyways, when I start it up, after a few minutes it begins choking and dying again. Again, when I hit the accelerator nothing happens. The rpm's stay low and it stalls shortly there after. I thought that it could potentially be the fuel pump that was malfunctioning. I recently put the code reader on it and it gave me nothing. I thought that another thing it could be was the EEC malfunctioing. I would like to know before I go spending $200 on a fuel pump and spending more getting the EEC fixed. Does anybody out there have any suggestions as to what it may be? If you do, your help would be greatly appereciated. One more symptom was an eradic idle. Sometimes it will be up around 2000, then drop to 1500, back up to 1750, and down to 1100 and die. It could be many things such as coil, an ignition problem, but I figured it wouldn't start at all if one of those things were malfunctioning. Anyways, help would be great. Thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

You might want to take a look at your ignition module that’s on the distributor. I had a problem with mine and my friend has had a problem with his.

JamesBaumann said:
How would you go about checking your catalytic converter without taking out your entire exhaust line? And what is my ignition module supposed to look like? Thank you for the suggestions.
It is the little gray box that is on the side of the distributor. You can just unbolt the exhaust from the header and the back exhaust, and take a look in side.