running rich all of the sudden..........

captahab

Jul 18, 2010
Barnesville Pa.
I have a 86LX converted to mass.Cobra upper and lower,b303,BBK CAI,headers,smog stuff removed and alot of other smaller add ons.
I started the car to take to work yesterday morning and it all of the
sudden was running rich with no power at all. The night before it ran
great. I pulled a code 67 at KOEO and I had codes of 29 and 96 in the continous memory group. I ran out of time last night to do a KOER dump.
I will do this hopefully tonight.
My two questions are the 67 code tells me its a neutral switch issue of
some sort. I did have the car warm and the tranny was in neutral when
I did this test. Will I have to clear this code befroe the computer will give
me another code ? The issue the car is having doesnt seem to be related
to a neutral switch issue. And does anyone have any ideas as to what might
be causing the rich condition ?

Thanks........

• Sponsors (?)

Code 67 means you did not hold the clutch in when the test was run. Run the codes again and hold the clutch in the entire time. Should get rid of the code 67. It does not effect how the car runs.

Code 29 is the vss. Does your car have a vss sensor? Did younrun the wiring to tap into the vss sensor when you did the mass air conversion.

Same goes for the code 96. It's referring to the fuel pump relay. Did you tap into the wiring during the mass oar comversion? If didn't, the computer can't monitor and pops this code.

Needless to say you need to run the koer codes. The 67 is nothing and the other two codes may be from not completing the mass air conversion properly

Thanks for the reply on this. I didnt do the mass conversion on the car. The previous owner did. Thats been a portion of my problem with troubleshooting anything on this car.
It seems like Im always trying to figure out what he did and why he did it that way. I wasnt aware of holding in the clutch for the KOEO test.
Ill try the test this weekend with the clutch in and see what it tells me.

When you do the koer codes, you'll need to hold the clutch in as well.

You can fix the other two fairly easily. Will require running some wire and using taps to tap into factory wiring. I'll try adpnd find a link

Pull the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and make sure the diaphram hasn't ruptured resulting in gas being sucked up in the hose. Also it's possible the fuel pressure regulator could malfunction and allow too much pressure to the injectors (a fuel pressure gauge could answer that question). It's also possible (but rare) you could have a stuck injector. If you have a stethescope (or even a rubber hose would do) you could listen to the individual injectors to confirm they are working (clicking). If you have an infrared thermometer you can get a reading from the headers to give you a clue where the problem lies.