Running without rear brakes.

I have a friend who has the rear brakes pulled off of a couple of his cars. He tried it on one of them as an odd idea of a "free mod" to remove unsprung weight, and has seen no problem running without them.

Has anyone here done this? Is it a really dangerous idea or what? He hasn't had any trouble, but if it came down to it and he needed to stop in a hurry I wonder if he's miss them. How much do the rear brakes really do?

Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Just for the record, I agree with you guys. I think it is a bad idea. Just the thought of having half of the brakes that the vehicle is intended to have makes it sound terribly dangerous. I was just wondering if this was something that was done often or if he was the only person who tried it lol. Also, I wasn't positive how much the rear brakes really contributed, but I'm sure whatever they contribute is a lot better than nothing when you need to bring the car to a stop quickly.

Like I said, for the record, I'm not doing this to my stang lol, just curious what others thought and if anyone had any experience with it.

This is a bad idea, been there done that 20yrs ago. I've driven a newly purchased car, the rear brake line failed shorlty after I left the seller's house, without rear brakes to get it home. It was a $300.00 car so I wasn't going to complain. It was fun for a couple minutes, the ability to do a Prostock type burnout with an anemic I-6 Fairmont was cool but that was it. Things get very scary under anything less than ideal conditions and oh if you apply the brakes whilst turning a corner, the rear end can and likely will swing around very rapidly, not cool at all. Stopping in a straight line UNDER NORMAL circumstances was uneventful, but a panic stop would have caused the car to swap ends.

From what I've heard everywhere, front brakes do 75% and rear 25% of the braking. So they're certainly NOT useless on a vehicle and probably keep the car steady and in a straighter line under heavier braking....nevermind the rear brakes are the Emergency Brake so I hope he carries wedges!!

:notnice::nono:

:rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh: This has to be the funniest thread I have viewed in a long time!!!

I can see the guy turning the corner and braking hard then the arse end swings around like a burnout but no burnout (except the guy behind the wheel) ..bystanders that don't get swept up in the 2 ton street sweeper scratching their heads. :rlaugh: Meanwhile the back end passes the front end and pulls it into a double "axle" spin? :rlaugh::hail2::SNSign: