Runs great cold!

Yep, as strange as it sounds, its true. 70 Mustang base, 302, automatic, Motorcraft 2100D carb.
Vehicle starts, idles and runs well until it starts to warm up. Then, if sitting and idling it just dies. If moving, it stalls. In either case, it won't restart without starter fluid until it cools and won't idle when started with starter fluid. I have tried adjusting idle mixture screws, points, plugs, condenser have been replaced. Don't believe it to be a dashpot issue since it stalls when just idling. The book says this can be caused by a bad thermostat? Never heard of a thermostat causing this before. Any other suggestions would be greatly be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Is your choke operating properly? Your book may be refering to the thermostatic spring that opens your choke as it warms up. If its talking about your cooling system thermostat then you could be experiencing vapor lock in your fuel line. In this case your coolant wont circulat and your engine will get very hot while your radiator will just be warm or barely hot. If your fuel line runs anywhere close any part of the engine it will cause a vapor lock and block the fuel flow.

when your engine stalls make sure you still have fuel squirting into the carb.
Also do you have electric choke, or manual

Is your choke operating properly? Your book may be refering to the thermostatic spring that opens your choke as it warms up. If its talking about your cooling system thermostat then you could be experiencing vapor lock in your fuel line. In this case your coolant wont circulat and your engine will get very hot while your radiator will just be warm or barely hot. If your fuel line runs anywhere close any part of the engine it will cause a vapor lock and block the fuel flow.

when your engine stalls make sure you still have fuel squirting into the carb.
Also do you have electric choke, or manual

Choke is mechanical, original, heat driven. Seems to be working properly. Not a vacuum leak, just replaced all vac lines. Gas is going into carb when hot or warm. Not really running long enough to heat up fuel line to cause vapor lock. I am sure there is something I'm overlooking but I just figure it out.

Its a long shot, but try it with your gas cap off. If your tank is not venting properly, it can cause enough vaccum to overcome the fuel pump and prevent fuel from flowing.

Does your gas tank look like its been collapsed?

Thanks for the tips. Gas gets to carb fine, no pump or tank venting issues. Noticed yesterday that engine stalls as choke plate opens when engine is warming up. If I hold choke plate slightly more closed than it "wants" to be based on temp the engine runs fine. I'm assuming this means choke and/or idle mix settings?

Except for when you say "it won't restart without starter fluid until it cools and won't idle when started with starter fluid. ", my thought is simply a maladjusted choke. However that shouldn't require starting fluid to overcome, just a couple of pumps on the pedal should allow it to re-start. Just for ha-ha's, the next time it stalls after warming up, check to make sure a good solid stream of gas is injected into the barrels when the throttle is opened. If not or if it is a weak stream, take the top off the carb check the float level as horse sense suggests.

Food for thought, My 68 carbs shot, and it just dumps unregulated fuel into the motor. The car sputters, and stalls, but always starts up cold. Check your oil pan to see if this is happening with yours. It will flood the pan, dilute the oil, and cook the motor if not drained. Mine will flood the float bowl, and leak fuel from the carb/manifold gasket
The car has the suspension out, and it will be fixed before its on the road again.

Good luck