Rust... Its getting about time...

Grits

SEE!! I do have a neck!
Founding Member
Aug 25, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey guys..

Ive been into classics for the last year or so, and the main issue with 90% of them is rust... I havent had my 89 convertible for long, but its my 4th fox and i know ill never sell it. Hard to think that its almost 20 years old...

Thinking about my 54 Chevy today (And the rusted out floorboards) i was thinking it might be a good time to POR-15 the underside of the stang.. not that it sees alot of rain, but it does every once in awhile.

I was hoping to get some insight from anyone who has found rust on there cars, where is it poping up first? Where would you look for it if you were going to buy a fox today? a quart of por-15 is cheap compared to metal work.... alot cheaper.

pictures would be helpful if anyone has them.

• Sponsors (?)

bottom part of strut towers where the crossmember bolts to the unibody.

bottom edge of the firewall right where it curls to go under the the floor pans.

theres a place behind the fender where this peice of matting (sound dampner?) is and starts rotting away where the door bolts on the body. it usually rusts towards the bottom.

wheelwells.

rocker panels.

floor pans

if you live in humid climates where theres alot of moisture, flip up the carpet in the back (hatch or trunk) and look for signs of rust around the spare tire spot. or where the rear seat back bolts to the body. this reason here is why i parted out a 84 predator, it was so bad it rotted through the frame rails.

bout all i can think of in the most common places for now lol.

They also like to rust around the deck lid, where the weatherstripping is. I know my hatch is showing signs, so i guess they all would eventually. They hold alot of debris, dirt, and moisture in this area. And the same goes for the bottom of the fenders as well. And around your moulding.

Check the cowl!!
7-1-072.jpg

12-6-07021.jpg

passsidecowl.jpg