Rust repair on two 1965 Mustangs

rusty428cj

10 Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Port Richey Fl
It is hard to believe but we have a coupe and a fastback that are both undergoing major rust repair at the same time and almost in the same places.

160-2.jpg

Attachments

• 160-2.jpg
    160-2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

well most of the replacement panels these days are repops made out of the country. and if they did use ALL NOS panels (doubt it), the parts would have seen better use on another car rather than a 6 banger.? so what you really have is a chinese mustang with all those new panels.
yes we should save the stangs, but some have to be put down.

well most of the replacement panels these days are repops made out of the country. and if they did use ALL NOS panels (doubt it), the parts would have seen better use on another car rather than a 6 banger.? so what you really have is a chinese mustang with all those new panels.
yes we should save the stangs, but some have to be put down.

You can feel free to "put yours down", but don't tell me what to do with my rusty piece of junk! :)

Hack- is the coupe your car?

does it really matter?

If someone want's to restore a classic car in any condition why should you or anyone else tell them they are wrong in doing what they want, just because it's not what you would do?

I've been helping my buddy restore his 65 coupe 6cyl for his wife, it was the car they went on their first date in, it was in nearly as bad of shape, not a hot rod definitely not worth the $ that's invested but it what they want no matter the cost:nice:

It matters to some degree. I can't say to what. However is it worth it. Looking at the pictures of that car, there is really nothing left of the original car. A rebody or another car is way less money and more solid.
Maybe I am thInking from another era. My first fastback was a rust monster. Bought a rust free car for a quarter of the price to repair it. Was I sad to lose my first fastback, no. Many times more satisfied with a solid body car.
Calling it how I see it. Will this project turn out straight. Maybe. But maybe not. Like I said. Some people have more money than sence.

You miss the point that some people have a strong attachment to their cars. They may have been in the family since new, maybe a first car, maybe something they grew up with. They are not in the hobby to make money or sound financial decisions. That's what makes them true hobbyists and car enthusiasts.

You miss the point that some people have a strong attachment to their cars. They may have been in the family since new, maybe a first car, maybe something they grew up with. They are not in the hobby to make money or sound financial decisions. That's what makes them true hobbyists and car enthusiasts.

It does not make them a true hobbyist or car enthusiast. Lol!!! I think they are just ill educated with mustangs or some body shop sold them on a restoration. To put it bluntly, it is a waste to pour that kind of money into that car. There are SO many options that are available to the person who owns that rusted wreck.
Say what you want, the owner of that rusted-out coupe made a very poor choice.

True, it will never be worth what the car in your avatar would bring, but I am sure the woman who owns it must have had some important reason to bring it back regardless of cost, as with what she has into it, she could have bought a sweet ride. But I am sure Brian is cutting her a fair deal and we have all enjoyed watching the car progress from the day it drove into the shop.

It does not make them a true hobbyist or car enthusiast. Lol!!! I think they are just ill educated with mustangs or some body shop sold them on a restoration. To put it bluntly, it is a waste to pour that kind of money into that car. There are SO many options that are available to the person who owns that rusted wreck.

Wow...that is a very ignorant statement.

Didn't you bash someone's first-gen fastback in another thread because they were cutting it up to put a M-II front suspension on it? It appears that everyone should PM you before they build a stang to see if their plan is appropriate.

Everyone in the car hobby has different tastes. That is what makes it fun. I wouldn't go to a show to see 100 vanilla 65 fastbacks. I don't want to even see two of the same thing. The Mustang hobby is about being unique and building to suit yourself. Without the 6-cyl. 1st gens, 4-cyl M-II's and Foxes, etc. the performance models we all love wouldn't exist. They all deserve respect.