Rusted Fender Apron And Battery Tray

imecoli

Mar 18, 2012
San Diego
My resto has stalled due to busy schedule, now I am trying to restart. I planned on replacing the apron with the battery tray due to bad corrosion, but I realized the rust on the the top rail(?) where my fender mounts before and after the shock tower is worse than I thought. So now I am looking for advice. Should I fabricate steel and try to patch or should I just buy the complete replacement

https://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DA154R+01

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I am also thinking if I do the whole panel I would having someone do the welding for me since this would be more critical than just the front apron. Not overly concerned about the difference in cost, I planned on spending more than I paid initially, I would just to complete. I want to do it right and not have to worry later on.

WP_001278.jpg WP_001281(1).jpg View attachment 72114

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

i personaly hate patching in panels when the full panel is available it is usualy cleaner looking to replace the whole thing ,especialy inner approns, there not that difficult to do, if you do the whole panel try to find the ones that are pre stamped for the fender mounting holes ,the un punched panels are a pain in the beutte

also take maesurements before you remove the old panels, length,width and height

What if I can get another 70 that is clean and rust free in the front clip, can I get those aprons welded in place? I know there wouldn't be an issue with fitting it but is that doable? I would also end up with running stock motor, trans, body etc. currently asking $1900, offered $1000 for just the body, he could pull motor, trans, interior,hood. I would just want front clip.

i would avoid replacing the spring towers if at all possible as that is were ford stamped the vin numbers, when making repairs here be carefull not to grind the vin numbers.
i find it much easier to use new approns ,it a lot easier than drilling old ones off and reusing them