RX8 as a DD?

• Sponsors (?)

I did some time at a Mazda dealership, and I own a rotary car myself. RX8s..there are the paddles (manuamatic) and the 6 speed. First and foremost, if you get an RX8, get the 6 speed. Next..any problems associated with the RX8's engine are usually attributed to LACK of abuse. Redline your rotary everyime you drive it; it cleans out carbon. RX8s had a severe warranty issue; with the carbon buildup, when you turn the key, it can flood the engine. At the dealership, if you couldn't get it started by turning it over a lot, and replacing the plugs, the solution was a new engine. Why? Mazda technicians aren't allowed to crack open an engine (especially a rotary)..I doubt the backyard mechanic is going to do much better. Other issues were the power levels. Mazda's claimed HP was overrated. They dropped the HP number, and offered either $500 in maintenance/accessories or to buy back the vehicles of the people who had already bought them in 2003. The revised number was still overrated. Torque number isn't really important. It has some pretty steep gearing (great torque alternative!) down low, and it pulls just as hard at 4000 as it does at 8000.

They have a great interior; I'll give them that. When well taken care of, it is a fantastic vehicle (this means do your fricken service). I think the reason why the RX8 is deemed such a failure compared to the 1992-2002 RX7 is because Mazda decided to make it a 4 door. Why? Who knows. The back seat is almost useless anyway. The power is also disappointing compared to the FD, but it is definitely in the interest of longevity. An FD can go maybe 100000 miles before a rebuild, stock. Even less than modified. And God help you if you get any hint of detonation. RX8s do have an extremely smooth engine. If you drive along ignoring the tach, you might find yourself at redline when you thought you were 3000 RPM lower. They do handle very well, and they do come with traction control in case you don't know how to drive a RWD in rain or snow. Gas mileage sucks and they burn oil, so it's up to you. I wouldn't.