S-197 with a boss 351, say it's so!!!

ranger04

Jul 28, 2007
I just read a Detroit news reprint over at the ford truck site. It talked about future ford engines and transmisions. Such things as the new ford inhouse diesels, hydrogen fuel cells, but the thing that caught my eye was about the boss V-8's. It said the 7 liter V-8 would replace the V-10 in the super duty and the boss 6.2 for the F-150. But the new to me, it mentioned a boss 5.8 for the mustang coupe. It maybe a special edition stang, but ford was leaning toward making it an optional engine from the 5.0 GT base engine. Thats the first I've heard of a 351 boss for our cars and I got excited and needed to share. These changes are slated for around 2010 model year. The truck V-8's would have cylinder deactivation for better mpg, but didn't spiecify for the stang. Having a 5.8 as an option to the 5.0 would be pretty cool. I'm a PC idiot, or I would copy the article and paste it or whatever it's called. I do good just to get on the forum. Anyway, thats something exciting to think about.

• Sponsors (?)

OHV

From SVTPerformance.com

Latest Boss Info

Major turmoil over at the Ford camp is causing major changes as I'm sure you can imagine.
As of now the 5.8L Boss engines are slated for Mustangs but not until '11. 6.2s are now relegated to truck only duty.
The new push for the Boss, and most at Ford don't even know about it, is back to a 5.4 4v using GT/GT500 heads and a new intake. Obviously this would be the most cost effective route for a SE that's supposed to come to market in the near future. Evidently they've made 380hp (at the flywheel) with off the shelf cams and this motor. Program accessment for the N/A 5.4 will be by 2/9/07. We'll know with more certainty then what motor will end up in the SE Boss. There is still zero chance of a big bore modular 5.0 ending up in the Boss SE.
Sorry for all the changing info but it's the price you pay when you want the most current info vs. waiting.

As for the Boss line of engines. As of right now, this is a OHV iron block, with plans for an Al version. The Fe block weighs 211 pounds and will definitely be used in the F series. It has 102 mm (4.015") bores on 115 mm spacing. It does NOT have siamese cylinders. It DOES have piston squirters. The main journals are ~ 75 mm diameter and the bulkheads are pretty thick. As for bore/sroke that's approx. 4.015"x3.73" for the 6.2.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my first post. The 5.4 4v will be the Boss special edition motor, it's not slated for any other S197 application. Eventually in MY '10 or '11 the S197 (Mustang GT) will get the 5.8L Boss engine, not the 6.2 as was previously stated.
So the 5.4 4v is more of a holdover than anything else.

You do realize the current 5.0L and projected 5.8L will be derivatives of the current 4.6L...I hope you're not peeing your pants:rolleyes: thinking either one of these engines is like the older motors from like the Fox body era and older.

True, but more displacement=more power from the factory:D

"O NO", of course not, they just are calling the new ford V-8's the boss. I know it won't be a 351 cleveland with the big port heads you could stick your fist in to. it doesn't have to be, I raced a boss 302 in a 70 maverick back in 78, an awesome engine, however, the 281 in my 07 had the stock boss 302 covered, I'm not sure if the 281 is faster, but it's as fast for sure. I have no problem with a mod motor
3V SOHC 351, if it's as good as the 4.6, then it should be awesome. This is just the first I've heard of a 351 for the stang. I think it's kinda cool using those retro cubes, like the 302 (5.0) and 351 (5.8).

A quick question for you mod motor experts, the 7 liter is supoed to replace the V-10, but the 7 liter that roush is playing with is cam in block. Does anyone know if the next generation of mod motors will be sohc or cam in block? I thought that maybe the 7 liter might be cam in block to cut down on the width. I assumed the 5.0, 5.8 and 6.2 would be sohc or at least I was hopeing so. Or maybe the 7 liter roush is playing with isn't the same 7 liter that will be the V-10 replacement in the super duty. I wish we could get some hard info, they like to keep us guessing.

Thats what I thought as well, but in last edition of MM&FF, that experimental 7 liter they were racing with help from roush was a cam in block. Maybe that motor has nothing to do with the 7 liter that will be going into the super duty as a V-10 replacement. I'm with you, I maybe old school, but I really rate these 3V SOHC motors. With the way the 281 runs, I can only imagine what a 302 or 351 would run like, should be a blast. Also if they keep these motors all in the same 3V SOHC family, it will have it easier for us to mix and match engines and parts.