S-trim or kenne bell

FreeGT

Dec 9, 2003
St. Louis
I'm ordering a blower today, but I can't decide between the Vortech S-trim (h.0. 8-10 psi) kit w/ or w/out after cooler, or the kenne bell 1.5L.

This is goin on a stock 5.0 engine with 70mm throttle body, 75 mm mass air w/ 24# injectors, and 3.73s.

My question is what would be best for a street driven low 13- mid 12 second car. What has a better gain? Does the kenne bell need an after cooler and bypass added on? I'm leanin for the kenne bell, because of the immediate gains after 2000rpm, but the vortech is cheaper...........

• Sponsors (?)

For daily driving every one seems to say Kenne Bell. I my self am debating this also, but i think i may go vortech jsut to have that tope end charge and keep it mild down low. If you go KB get the 2200, you will be happy you did, its got more room for grouth.

Darren

I too was debating this in my head for the longest time. I think I've decided I'm going to do an S-Trim because it is tried and true and $1k cheaper. I was leaning towards the KB for a while because I have yet to see another one in my area, but I wasn't too impressed with Kenne Bell's technical advice. They want you to basically bolt the blower on and dump octane boost in your tank to 'tune' it :rolleyes: . At least the Vortech includes an FMU to increase the fuel. I know it's not the best way to tune a blower car, but it sure beats just putting octane boost in the tank. Either way you can't go wrong IMO, but if you get a KB, get the 2200 and get something to tune the A/F (PMS, twEECer, etc.).

The only way to truely know what you want is to drive both. There is no doubt about it, the Kenne Bell just plain is a blast to drive around the street. It literally makes the car feel like you threw a 351 in it. You can womp the gas at 2000 RPM and the boost needle instantly swings all the way up to whatever PSI its pullied for. This is tire smoking torque boys!! On the Vortech you gotta WAIT for your boost to hit. This could mean more tickets because by the time you hit any significant boost, youve revved your motor out to 4000+ RPM and going 80-90 before youve realized it. As far as racing, the Vortech SQ trim has more potential. But you said you wanted a 12 sec street car and the KB will have no problem getting you there. Also, the KB replaces your weak upper manifold. Thats like a 2 in 1 mod. While your in there replace the lower with a TMOSS for some great benenfits. If you go KB, get the 2200. Its a more complete kit and comes with the bypass valve. Its only $400 more and for what you get that is CHEAP. Its still less than getting a Vortech with an intercooler, and more fun in my opinion. But this is just an opinion after driving both blowers. Actually Ive never driven a KB, but I have driven a roots blower car. I loved the roots car and that is not even half as good as a KB. Good luck with your choice!

oh yea, 1 thing I forgot. the KB is wayy sleeper. if you wanna wipe up unsuspecting punks then thats how u wanna go. if you want a bad ass "im looking for attention" type car then go vortech. even my novi 1000 which is "quiet" still attracts alot of attention