S197 rear quarter "dents"???

Pig

Sep 27, 2002
North ATL, GA
I don't know if this topic has been discussed. I tried searching and couldn't find anything, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Has anyone noticed dents on the rear quarter panels of your S197? They're vertical looking dents a few inches forward of the top center of the wheel well. It looks like a broom/rake/etc fell onto the side of the car and left a dent. But I know nothing has fallen on my car, and it hasn't been bumped or rear-ended in any way. They definitely weren't there when I bought the car. I have these "dents" on both rear quarter panels, in the exact same spot...although the passenger side is worse than the driver's. And they're kinda hard to see, but they're definitely there.

This is happening on my 07 GT500 vert, as well as a number of other GT500's, but I figured I'd run this by anyone who has a S197 body Stang. Of the GT500's I've heard of, its been happening to both coupes & verts, stock & modified (power/suspension/anything), various mileage, and I can't seem to find any common thread linking them. I've also heard of one or two GTs & Saleens with the same issue.

At first I thought it might be a power/torque issue twisting/buckling the body, but I've heard of stock vehicles that have this problem...and then there's also guys with KB's pushing 700+ HP that don't have the problem. I don't know what the hell to think.

So...anyone else out there having this problem?

Pig

Here's Pics....
IMG_8759a.jpg

IMG_8762a.jpg

IMG_8764a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8759a.jpg
    IMG_8759a.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_8762a.jpg
    IMG_8762a.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_8764a.jpg
    IMG_8764a.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 489
  • Sponsors (?)

Does it correspond to anything inside the trunk like a welded panel? Nothing on my 2005 s/c GT but it only has 7000 on the clock. Have you stiffened anything on the back suspension that could place an adverse load on it or do you track the cars putting a lot of load on the suspension. I note they're both verts.

Haven't seen it before.

It does kinda line up with a bracket on the interior of the panel. Its where the vert top well bolts to the side. However, this problem has been noticed on coupes as well, and I don't know what it looks like on the inside of a coupe. Could it be about the same place that the rear shelf is attached?

IMG_8769a.jpg

My car has only been to the drag strip twice (10-12 passes total), and I haven't done any tracks/courses. The only thing I've done to the suspension is Fiore LCAs.

Another thought... Does anyone know if this is the location of a rear "crumple" zone? My car hasn't been hit or bumped in the rear, but could it be crumpling prematurely from the torque/hard launches? Probably a stretch, but I'm just looking for anything that may be the cause.

Attachments

• IMG_8769a.jpg
    IMG_8769a.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 190
the crumple zomes are built into the frame rails, and other structures. on the frame rails, its the accordian shapped areas, and also the places that have a vertical impression. hard to explain those. the only way your car could have a problem with them is if it was in a bad wreck and the shop did a very poor repair. not gonna happen to yor car, IMO. also, you see indirect damage from collisions on the 1/4 in about that area, but it would look alot different, judging by the pics you povided.

i dont really haveany other ideas without actually looking at the car.

Yep ....... me too!

I've had those on my 05 coupe since new. In the exact same spot. I also have a lower one right on the fender flare on the rear quarter (DS) quarter panel.

Funny.,,..... on mine, it almost looks as though it's a paint problem, but when examined very closely it's a dent.

Were these put there by Ford's machine as it's put in place?

Well, First I'm jealous that you have a GT500. Second I'd say that really sucks that this is happening to your car. What rear suspension mods/tires are you running? Looks as if your running stock rubber. In stock form with limited grip on a GT500 I would think that wheelspin would prevent chassis flex, however your problem looks like a premature warping/flexing of the panels due to high horsepower grip. I notice you have LCA's. Make sure they are torqued to spec. Overtorqing can cause a tightening of the suspension an increasing the chance of twisting the frame. Also, If the GT500's dont come with heavy duty subframe connectors get some right away for the conv especially. Just a thought, I am no expert though.

my car also has this problem been there since the day i brought it home on the pass. side . its killing me . was thinking of having dent wizard take a look at it and see if its fixable .

I have them on mine as well. not even 6k on the clock, at first i thought i was crazy cause i only really noticed it when i looked in the side view mirrors, checked her one day in the garage and sure as sh.. shes got those annoying lil dents too

Thank you all for posting up. I appreciate the input. At this point I have no idea what could be causing this....unless its a problem originating from the factory. I mean, I looked my car over intently when I bought it and never noticed the dents. I didn't notice them until 4 months old or so. Could I have overlooked them? Sure. But I'm pretty particular (especially with the Shelby), and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed.

We've got cars across the board as far as power/suspension/stock/modified/etc...all showing the dents. And then we've got cars across the board that don't have the dents. So I don't think its an issue of excessive power/torque.

That being said....what in the hell could be causing this???? I take good care of my car, keep it clean/waxed/polished/proper maintenance...and something like this pops up? This is just frustrating. And judging by what others have said here, I'm not alone in this.

So anyone know what the deal is? Any Ford techs out there reading this that could give some insight? I know I probably sound picky, but it makes me wonder how many other people have had this issue and just tossed it up to "someone dented my car in the parking lot."

Odd, I look in my driver side mirror and I SEE the dent but when I get out of the car to check the fender...nothing. I keep thinking my eyes are playing tricks on me but this thread definitely makes me know that I'm not crazy LOL

No way...I'm the second owner of my 06. The car had 6000 miles and I thought that the dent I saw was careless effect of the previous owner. However, the rest of the car was immaculate.

If this is a known factory problem...das some bull.