Roush S281 info

TaupeGT

Apr 7, 2004
Heyy everyone....ok i was about to purchase a S281 wing when i noticed there may be a difference in the 281 wings one of the wings looked like it used the existing holes in the trunk lid for mounting then another used ones at the very edge...now I am confused i also noticed one seems to go out a little straighter at the back and one seems to curve up a little bit more...i have a 2002 GT can anyone tell me what the differences im noticing are? maybe provide a picture if you could. thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

maybe your mixing up the s281 wing and the extreme wing? the s281 is flush with the trunk while the extreme wing is a little raised off the trunk in the middle. go look around in the 4.6L forums somebody just bought one for his car i think maybe he can help you.

you're right in the difference of the s281 wings. mine is a 2001 and the wing is one piece, even though it extends somewhat onto the quarter panel. i'm guessing that either in 2002 or 2003 the wing changed because now the wing appears to be a three piece, with the actual wing on the trunk and the outer tips (l & r) attached to the quarter panel, the trunk lid sides marking the dividing line. the tips of the wing form a different shape in this respect, with mine being rounded off and the new ones being much edgier, coming to a point. if you ordered a saleen wing today i'm guessing you would probably be buying the newer version. personally, i think mine looks better because it's all a flush one piece.

here's a link to a pic of a guys cobra with the newer s281 wing...you can clearly see what i mean:
http://www.mycobra.us/Photos/p16.jpg

They added the "legs" to the rear wing in 2002 to give the illusion of being wider in the back. It was flush mounted on the deck lid with two additional pieces on each quarter panel that extended to the bumper line. That configuration was on the standard and supercharged s281. The s281-E had a raised, one piece wing on top of the rear deck lid only. All this according to the Saleen book...

Sal

sal07b said:
They added the "legs" to the rear wing in 2002 to give the illusion of being wider in the back. It was flush mounted on the deck lid with two additional pieces on each quarter panel that extended to the bumper line. That configuration was on the standard and supercharged s281. The s281-E had a raised, one piece wing on top of the rear deck lid only. All this according to the Saleen book...

Sal

Yes,
Sal is correct. That's a great book. No.