Roush Saleen S351

ex95blowncobra

Jun 16, 2005
I am currently in the market for a s351. I have done a few months of research and I am looking for a 97-99 car. My question is it seems like the 03 cobras with slight mods made similar power and the Shelby cobras should make the same if not more. Will having this engine with older technology still be the beast it once was or simply a 6-8 year old mustang thats fast but no longer something special. I own a Saleen now so I know all the benefits of having a saleen but it seems that perhaps technology has finally caught up in the power area. I have noticed resale values are already down shouldn't they get crushed when a 97 s351 goes for mid 30's and a used 03 will be the same price. i know the exclusivity of the car but before I make this purchase I just wonder if the depreciation value will accelerate greatly with new models.

• Sponsors (?)

With less then 400 S351's ever made between 94-99, the want and rarity of those cars will always be there. I think they made 15,000 03/04 cobra's. I see those cars everywhere here in SoCal. Other then big car shows, I never see S351' running around besides the two sitting in my garage :D
Its a matter of preference. I love the old push rod engine while others like the mod motors. We both know you can make ANY car fast if you are willing to dump $$$ into it. Buy the car that you want and will enjoy the most, not which one you think might have a higher resale value. Its not an investment, its a car. Judging by my signature, I think you know which way I am leaning towards :nice:

It depends what you like. Either car can be made fast, if that is what you want. I looked at a 99 S351 and an 04 Cobra before I bought my 01 281SC Saleen. My car was super slow in stock trim so I built the motor and added a few extras. I personally like the looks of the 99-04 models better.

If your looking for a Black fully built 01 Saleen 281SC let me know, as mine might be for sale in the near future.

Why don't you drive a couple examples of each and then make your decision.

If you want massive torque out of the box then buy an S351R.

If you want to look like all of the other mustangs then buy a Cobra. The minute you start modding to get close to blown windsor power, your warranty will be void anyway.

If you are planning a daily driver, do not buy an S351 buy the Cobra.

My S351 is worth more now then when I bought it and am always asked if it is for sale.

It will be 25 years before a 03/04 Cobra goes up in value.

You need to do more homework. I have seen plenty of 99 S351's with horrible stock tunes and some with hypernumatic pistons. Unfortunately you never know exactly whats inside an S351 motor until you open it up and should plan on it.

There isn't even one S351 owner on this board that won't agree with me when I tell you if you want a "nice" driver car with manners do not purchase and S351. It can be driven daily but why. It's no Ferrari but loves to be a bit pissy at times.

Talk to Mark at Performance Autosport. If he is not busy he will spend the time going over options.

If you are lucky enough and have the funds then purchase a 03/04 Saleen/Cobra. That will just about do it.

Good luck.

choices...long and wordy sorry

A couple of thoughts.
I'll agree with marcus, I would not make it a daily driver unless you just like to drive it every day, but I think it is best left as an occassional driver to really enjoy the performance envelope. Driven every day, you will become numb to the cars fun....opportunity.

I own two. A completely stock 98 speedster and a 95 coupe that had the factory R components later in life. Yes, by the time I had bought the 95, the engine had already had the weak pistons exposed.....kaboom, new engine with much stronger components. The personalities of the cars could not be more different. Stock '98 could be driven every day.....has no vices. The '95 is like an angry animal that enjoys being hammered. Does not idle all that well.....hates to have the A/C on at stop lights.....but holy cow, it goes, stops and corners like no ferrari, shelby or porsche I have ever owned. It flat out runs away and demands your TOTAL attention if you are going to take advantage of its potential because it far surpasses the performance envelope of any other car I have challenged.

Both are great fun to drive, but as the 95 already has 18K miles on it, it is my usual choice. It can be tooled around ( but not happy about it) in but I prefer to enjoy it in brief spurts.....not bringing too much attention to myself to save a nice driving record....and cheap insurance.

As far as investment potential, there is no camparison....at the moment and I don't think that will change any time soon. The s351 cars are the holy grail of sn95 saleens (some would argue that it is not earned) but neverthless, the badge sticks.

I collect older mustangs as well. What was collectable 5-10-15-20 years ago is still the same. The values have changed, but the desire of people to own "collectable" versions has never faultered.

Lastly, buy what you like to drive. Don't factor in investment prospects...because when the darn thing breaks....the investment potential goes in the garbage can.... Huge frustration just sets in.

Good luck. Look at as many as you can find or just buy a nice clean Cobra, you can't go wrong in that case. They are great cars.

Sorry to be so verbose.

Dan