Saleen Wont Start

saleen137

Nov 11, 2003
Bellflower
My Saleen has been garaged for a few months at a time and I've been having a problem trying to start it. Just over the weekend I tried to start it and figured the battery might be dead but the battery is 3-4 months old. Something is draining by battery and it will die with in days. The last time I tried to start it I took it for a spin pulled into the driveway and washed the car. In about an hour or so the saleen wouldn't start. I had to jump start the car and it finally turned on. I've charged the battery and now it wont even start. All I get is a rapid clicking sound but it wont start at all. Since I'm unable to take the car to the dealer I'm guessing this is a job that I might have to do in the garage.

Could anybody give me an idea whether it may be the starter or alternator? The saleen is a 2000 and only has 38K miles on it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like you have a draw in the electrical system. A draw is when the car is off and there is no key in the ignition but something is staying on and causing your battery to drain in those couple days. I could try to explain to you on how to check for a draw but it would be to long and prob be to confusing. I would do a search on google.com and you shuold probably be able to find a good sight that will explain how to check for a parasitic draw.
You could also have a dead cell in your battery that is making it not hold a good enough charge to start the vehicle. You can take your battery to an autozone or similiar auto parts store and they can usually check your battery for free using their battery tester to see if the battery is good. Also check your pos terminal for corrosion.

It sounds like you have a draw in the electrical system. A draw is when the car is off and there is no key in the ignition but something is staying on and causing your battery to drain in those couple days. I could try to explain to you on how to check for a draw but it would be to long and prob be to confusing. I would do a search on google.com and you shuold probably be able to find a good sight that will explain how to check for a parasitic draw.
You could also have a dead cell in your battery that is making it not hold a good enough charge to start the vehicle. You can take your battery to an autozone or similiar auto parts store and they can usually check your battery for free using their battery tester to see if the battery is good. Also check your pos terminal for corrosion.

What I did was changed the other new battery that I have on my 99 GT into the Saleen and samething. As for corrosion on the pos terminal... well lets just say that I'm a clean freak so I make sure to clean everything before I install something new. When I installed the new battery I checked for any corrosion that might be on the terminal and everything was all good. I'm going to follow your advise and I'll search google for any write ups I might come accross.

If I can get some more advise please that would be great. What are the symptoms of a bad starter and what are the symptoms of a bad alternator? Other than the obvious as the battery dies.

If the battery is new I would look to the alternator, before suspecting a current draw.

Easy way to check the current draw is to disconnect the negative side of the battery and connect the positive side of an ammeter to the negative cable and the negative side of the ammeter to the negative battery terminal. There should be a very minimal amperage. Off hand I would have to say less than 100mA.

If that is ok, check the alternator then the starter. Always start easiest to hardest IMO!