sand blasting

iggy

Oct 15, 2003
anyone else ever use the sand blaster that sears sells for around 80 bucks i just want to do frame and underside of car its all stripped
if i do it in the garage how much of a mess will it make maybe i can put a tarp over it so it wont spread all over. any comment are welcome

• Sponsors (?)

didnt you post this once already? I dont know what sand blaster is sold at sears, but I picked up 2 sand blasters off ebay for $25 shipped. DO NOT use it inside the garage! When you are sand blasting, sand WILL go everywhere! Even if you put a tarp down. You really should do it outside.

allcarfan said:
didnt you post this once already? I dont know what sand blaster is sold at sears, but I picked up 2 sand blasters off ebay for $25 shipped. DO NOT use it inside the garage! When you are sand blasting, sand WILL go everywhere! Even if you put a tarp down. You really should do it outside.

I do mine inside, I just build 4 walls around it with clear plastic. It keeps 90% of it inside. But it gets foggy quick :D Outside is definately preferred weather permiting.

allcarfan said:
I wear a paper mask, a hat on backwards and safety goggles that SEAL around your eyes. I also wear ear muffs. Its a pain getting it in your ears and hair.

I used to paint houses with just a paper mask. Then I got sick and almost died.

That silica in your system is dangerous.

Silicosis, an occupational lung disease, is a respiratory disease caused by inhalation of silica dust. When crystalline silica (a component of silica dust) is inhaled, it causes inflammation of the lung tissue. This inflammation leads to scar tissue formation on the lungs, also known as nodules, which obstructs the flow of oxygen into the lungs and into the bloodstream. Before it was identified and named in the 1930s, silicosis was known by a variety of names, such as dust consumption, grinder's asthma, grinder's rot, grit consumption, mason's disease, miner's asthma, miner's phthisis, potter's rot, rock tuberculosis, and stonemason's disease.

Types of Silicosis
There are three types of silicosis: chronic silicosis, accelerated silicosis, and acute silicosis.

Chronic silicosis - occurs due to long-term exposure to low amounts of silica (10 to 20 years).

Accelerated silicosis - also known as progressive massive fibrosis; occurs more quickly than chronic silicosis, usually due to exposure to larger amounts of silica over a shorter period of time (five to 10 years).

Acute silicosis - occurs due to short-term exposure to extremely large amounts of silica. Acute silicosis can develop within several weeks or up to five years after exposure.
Silicosis has also been linked to adverse health effects such as tuberculosis and lung cancer.

You can learn more at http://www.silicosisfyi.com/

Gram

I am well aware of silicosis. I have had to take classes on it for my job since i inspect what other people blast and make sure they have the proper safety equipment. When i use my blast cabinet, i wear a respirator, when im outside, i use just a paper mask. Not much will penetrate it. I change it every 2 hours or so.

i don't know what kind of sandblaster sears sells for 80 dollars,but i'm betting it isn't a pressure pot blaster.i started off using a syphon feed blaster on the bottom of my car and eventually aquired a pressure blaster...it will save you a lot of time...