Sanded and painted moldings on the 90... Pics inside...

Stang8URMPRT

Dec 28, 2003
Daytona Beach, FL
Man.... this was a friggen all day event. I took off and sanded down almost all the trim moldings lol. Roof rail molding... Door belt molding... Lower windshield trim... cowl, wiper blades... Came out friggen awesome. No pics of the cowl, wiper blades, or lower trim moldings.. too dark out... But here's the following...

Roof rail molding before....

View attachment 515746

View attachment 515748

And AFTER:

View attachment 515750

Holy crap what a difference! I love it!

Door belt molding before...

View attachment 515752

And AFTER...

View attachment 515754

Man.. Talk about a difference... I'm so pleased with the results... Just used some 60 grit sand paper to get the pitting out, then some 400 to smooth it out... then painted them with Duplicolor Black Trim Paint... Whatcha think??

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

damn howd you get em so clean? some retard detailing shop screwed mine so the clears all messed up :mad: which i will have to fix... unless i put later model 87-93 moldings on it instead of mine (since i have 93 cobra bumper)

Uh oh, I really should do this too!

How does the trim paint holding up? I'd think it'd be too "accepting" to scratches and dings.

mansonozz said:
Uh oh, I really should do this too!

How does the trim paint holding up? I'd think it'd be too "accepting" to scratches and dings.
No idea man lol. It's only been on for a matter of an hour or two. I've had good luck with it before on my 83... So I wouldn't think it would be bad this time. After it bakes in the sun tomorrow, we'll see. It's still not fully dry yet... Try to the touch, but not fully.

Drew_Carroll said:
Thats awesome man, kudos on the craftsmanship. How long did it take you to get them off and reapply, also what was needed for removal and installation?
The roof rail molding is held on by 1 screw... open the door, and in the front... on the a pillar, there is the one screw. Then you just pull off the molding... feeling where each clip is, and pulling from it, then move to the next one. There is nasty grease/silicone crap on it... so it's messy. As for the door belt molding.. You open the door, and in the door jam... on the door, you'll see a little screw in the corner that holds is on. You unscrew it.. and slide the molding back... it's actually got three holes in it where rivets slide into.. then when you slide it forward, they go into "tracks" on that molding that hold it down. Thanks for the compliments! :nice:

is it hard to do the 1/4 windows....i thought the coverings were supposed to look like *****?

Oh and did you do all the moldings like even on the door above the windows?

from what i can tell you did the ones that connect to the roof, and the "sill" type one on the door under the window....right?

thanks -adam

Ok... First off, no... None of it was hard to get off. Read above on how to get the moldings off in a previous post in this thread.

Second... The paint I used was Duplicolor Black Trim Paint. It matches perfect with the window frame part of the door that's not faded at all.

Third... I have heard from people that the 1/4 window moldings look good and factory if you just take your time and not rush them.

Forth... I did not do the hatch glass moldings. You need a special tool to get them off... or so I read. I will do those and the side and top windshield trim when I do get that tool.

Yes, the grease sucked. It's some kind of weather sealant I guess. Sorta sticky and grease. Very messy.

Thanks guys. :nice: