Sanden PN

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I've found a good deal on a CAA Perfect Fit for my '66 (see Signature). However, it is minus the compressor. I'm wanting to run an R134 compressor (obvious reasons) does anyone know the Sanden part number I'd need or can anyone recommend another compressor I could use?

• Sponsors (?)

Is there a local A/C shop in your area? They will know which Compressor you need. Almost all Sanden Compressors that are made for aftermarket applications have the same 8 mounting ears on them and share the same dimensions. Since R-134a came out in 93'-94' it would be harder to find an R-12 compressor these days.
Did your kit come with the mounting bracket?

Is there a local A/C shop in your area? They will know which Compressor you need. Almost all Sanden Compressors that are made for aftermarket applications have the same 8 mounting ears on them and share the same dimensions. Since R-134a came out in 93'-94' it would be harder to find an R-12 compressor these days.
Did your kit come with the mounting bracket?

I am getting everything BUT the compressor.

You can pretty easily find R-12 compressors actually. R-12 is readily available, but costs more due to the need for a license, which as my father learned in the mid-90's, is a PITA to get.

My wonder is that if I can get an R-12 compressor cheap, what's the truth of converting to R134A? Also, will the newer mustang compressors fit in the old style brackets?

Ones last question, what exactly is needed to do a Sanden conversion? Is it not just a compressor plug and play?

I think you need a Sanden SD5H14, which was the post-r134a version of the 5-cylinder SD508. Some people think the larger 7-cylinder Sanden compressors are a better choice because they move more refrigerant and seem more reliable - but I'm not sure if the mounting ears on both models are positioned the same (I'll bet Sanden has schematics online).

Be advised, you'll see lots of "Sanden STYLE" compressors available now (mostly made in China). I don't know how good those are, so some research is probably in order.

R-134A with the York

I think you need a Sanden SD5H14, which was the post-r134a version of the 5-cylinder SD508. Some people think the larger 7-cylinder Sanden compressors are a better choice because they move more refrigerant and seem more reliable - but I'm not sure if the mounting ears on both models are positioned the same (I'll bet Sanden has schematics online).

Be advised, you'll see lots of "Sanden STYLE" compressors available now (mostly made in China). I don't know how good those are, so some research is probably in order.

I've got a good deal on an old-style York compressor.

That said, I've heard a lot of back and forth about whether or not the York can be used with R-134A. A lot of people will say no, absolutely not. Other say they have been for years. I've even been told they're used in some commercial applications with R-134A.

My reading says that the big thing is to use ester oil and not PAG with the york compressor and ensure proper evacuation and use a new drier) not really an issue since this is new equipment which hasn't been used.

Anyone have actual experience with that?

I researched the York and Tecumseh compressors back when the r134a conversions were getting lots of discussion. Check out www.aircondition.com; there's a link there to the auto a/c forums at acsource.net.

The forum used to have a separate "refrigerant retrofit" subforum which has since gone away, but some of those old discussions are in the forum archives. Try searching there for info on the York unit. IIRC, the issue with the York is getting one with the correct seals for r134a. I believe either York or Tecumseh has sold a version of those old designs with updates for the newer refrigerant. An auto a/c technician would probably be able to recite the model number.

I have had no issues using the 2 cylinder York Compressors with R-134a. Just be sure to drain all of the oil out and use the Ester oil. There is a plug on both sides of the compressor body used to drain and refill the oil. When you fill it, lay the compressor on it's side and fill it with oil till you can stick a dipstic in and see 9/16" of oil on the stick. You can use a coat hanger, a 7" ty strap or anything that is straight and will fit through the hole. The Yorks are a good pump, but tend to vibrate and make a little noise. Thats why they had those huge Flywheels on the pulley, to smoothen out the vibrations. A Sanden is lighter and more efficient.
One of the problems in converting older R-12 systems to R-134 is the R-12 condensers are not as efficient as the ones designed for R-134a. So, on a really hot day the A/C wont cool and the high side head pressure becomes excessive which can cause seals to fail. If you have the CAA kit that shouldn't be a problem. If the York compressor you have was manufactured in the last 10 years it'll have the updated front seal.
On a side note, the Sanden I have in inventory, which is an official Sanden from CAA (I am a dealer) was made in Singapore and the Sanden Corporation is based in Japan.

I have had no issues using the 2 cylinder York Compressors with R-134a. Just be sure to drain all of the oil out and use the Ester oil. There is a plug on both sides of the compressor body used to drain and refill the oil. When you fill it, lay the compressor on it's side and fill it with oil till you can stick a dipstic in and see 9/16" of oil on the stick. You can use a coat hanger, a 7" ty strap or anything that is straight and will fit through the hole. The Yorks are a good pump, but tend to vibrate and make a little noise. Thats why they had those huge Flywheels on the pulley, to smoothen out the vibrations. A Sanden is lighter and more efficient.
One of the problems in converting older R-12 systems to R-134 is the R-12 condensers are not as efficient as the ones designed for R-134a. So, on a really hot day the A/C wont cool and the high side head pressure becomes excessive which can cause seals to fail. If you have the CAA kit that shouldn't be a problem. If the York compressor you have was manufactured in the last 10 years it'll have the updated front seal.
On a side note, the Sanden I have in inventory, which is an official Sanden from CAA (I am a dealer) was made in Singapore and the Sanden Corporation is based in Japan.

Thanks for the info. I misunderstood the guy when I spoke to him about the kit - it's a CAA sold stock kit (which is fine with me, I just want some freakin' A/C!) The York compressor is separate and used. The CAA kit is second hand but was never installed. I'm thinking I should just get some R-12 (It can pretty easily be found around here) or some Freeze 12 if I can find it here to avoid aforementioned hot day issues.

If the kit includes one of their condensers it is compatible with R-134a. If it were my car that is what I'd use. There might come a time that R-12 and freeze 12 is no longer available.

I tend to agree. Their website is a little ambiguous...if I'm reading it correctly, they provide condensers that are set up to work with R134A even if their original A/C system kits.

Yes, their replacement condensers for the factory kits have more passages in them and are more efficient than the originals even though they look the same. Even the original Ford condensers which are called a serpentine design are very efficient. I have a 73' Ford Pick Up with a condenser out of a 70' Torino, a Sanden compressor and a real old Frigidair hang on unit using R-134a that will make the cab uncomfortably cold on a 98 degree day. Once in a while a chunk of ice blows out.

Yes, their replacement condensers for the factory kits have more passages in them and are more efficient than the originals even though they look the same. Even the original Ford condensers which are called a serpentine design are very efficient. I have a 73' Ford Pick Up with a condenser out of a 70' Torino, a Sanden compressor and a real old Frigidair hang on unit using R-134a that will make the cab uncomfortably cold on a 98 degree day. Once in a while a chunk of ice blows out.

Right on. I'm probably going to use the original compressor (at least for now...) But I hear they aren't too bad with the R134 either.