Saved by the 35 mph bumpers

Last Sunday I was headed down to the drag strip with a group of friends. Some guy just showed up where we were meeting, and decided to come along. On the way down there, he was behind me, and he kept riding my ass. We came up to some slower traffic (holiday traffic on I-95), and we had to slow down fairly quickly, but he wasn't paying too much attention. He smacked me in the rear end while I was going about 50, and by the pictures, it looks like his Camaro lifted my rear end off the ground. I spun out a couple of times across 2 lanes of holiday traffic, Daytona 500 style, and into a ditch. Turns out the guy had a suspended license. It was a miracle that no one else was hit, although I ran someone off the road. Didn't do too much damage to me, just a bent bumper, brackets, and a slightly buckled driver's rear fender.
getfile.php?id=99720&toggle=fullsize&f=bumper.jpg

getfile.php?id=99721&toggle=fullsize&filename=flipoff.jpg

getfile.php?id=99722&toggle=fullsize&filename=dumbass2.jpg

I got his insurance info and was on my way. I ended up running a best of 13.94.

Attachments

• getfile.php?id=99720&toggle=fullsize&f=bumper.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 137
  • getfile.php?id=99721&toggle=fullsize&filename=flipoff.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 139
  • getfile.php?id=99722&toggle=fullsize&filename=dumbass2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not too worried about it. He's going to pay for some new fiberglass bumpers. Kinda funny how I'm replacing the thing that saved me from further damage with something that will offer me hardly any protection at all. Oh, I forgot to say, he said to someone else in the group "This is the 5th Camaro I've wrecked!". I think it's time for him to sell that Camaro and get a Cavalier until he learns how to drive.

I'm not sure if they guy even needs a Cavalier, he may just need to start walking for a while, and then relearn to ride a bike and maybe after 10 or 15 yrs he can get into another car.
That's a sharp Cobra, shame the rear bumper and quarter has met the same fate as mine, unfortunatley mine was my own stupidity at the age of 18, being stupid in the rain.

1badII said:
Last Sunday I was headed down to the drag strip with a group of friends. Some guy just showed up where we were meeting, and decided to come along. On the way down there, he was behind me, and he kept riding my ass. We came up to some slower traffic (holiday traffic on I-95), and we had to slow down fairly quickly, but he wasn't paying too much attention. He smacked me in the rear end while I was going about 50, and by the pictures, it looks like his Camaro lifted my rear end off the ground. I spun out a couple of times across 2 lanes of holiday traffic, Daytona 500 style, and into a ditch. Turns out the guy had a suspended license. It was a miracle that no one else was hit, although I ran someone off the road. Didn't do too much damage to me, just a bent bumper, brackets, and a slightly buckled driver's rear fender.

I got his insurance info and was on my way. I ended up running a best of 13.94.
Thats a shame! Sounds to me like you hit the brakes??? j/k anyway, i'm there with you. My daily driver caddy was messed up in an accident on the 22 of this month. my 2 month old was in the back seat. wife up front with me. the as**h**e pulled out and crossed the road to make a left directly in front of me, about 10 feet away. nothing i could do. my caddy took out his entire quarterpanel. it was a honda accord (of course). my car doesn't look very pretty. sustained damage on the header, bumper and pass fender. no injuries. :bang:

Attachments

• getfile.php?id=99720&toggle=fullsize&f=bumper.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 122
  • getfile.php?id=99721&toggle=fullsize&filename=flipoff.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 128
  • getfile.php?id=99722&toggle=fullsize&filename=dumbass2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 120
If his license was suspended he had no insurance.

Second, without a police report you may find it hard to get money out of this guy. If you called the cops they would have ran his license and busted him for driving under suspension which would have made him less inclined to pay (remember no insurance) but would have given you better legal standing.

You need to replace the bumper with a II bumper. You wrote it yourself: a glass bumper won't be as protective. Plus, why would you leave him off the hook? I believe fixing that bumper will cost a bit more than two pieces of glass, I would want that money even if I were to put on glass bumpers.

Finally, that guy needs taken off the road. Wrecked 5 cars? Driving under suspension? Tailgating then running up your cars rear? This is inexcusable. If this is all the better he is he's going to kill someone, least get them hurt. Damned near got you hurt.

wow what a man, sporting his girlfriend's car... what a joke this guy is. Wreck a beutiful II by being a complete moron, stuff like that is nerve racking. I have to say your taking this quite well, which is probably better than flipping out. Good luck with the II, you'll have her nice and shiny again.