Sayonara GTO

• Sponsors (?)

It's too bad...the car wasn't ugly to me, just understated. I kinda like it's sleeper appeal. Hmm maybe by summer time to unload the remaining inventory, GM will throw in a free Solstice with every GTO purchase...I'll jump on that one!

Expected. They weren't selling as well as they hoped.

And I'm sure one of the reasons is the attitude of the Pontiac sales departments. "This is a high demand, limited production vehicle so we're not going to negotiate on the sticker price at all." I'd be driving an '05 GTO instead of the Stang if they'd played nice.

T4B, I ran into the exact same thing. I was going to try the GTO, but I couldn't even get a test drive. The sales manager claimed it was an "exsclusive, limited production" vehicle and that potential buyers (apparently meaning not me) wouldn't want a GTO that someone else had driven.

I told them to give me a call if they changed their policy on test drives. They did, about two months after I bought my Mustang.

Gosh, besides the styling, I wonder why else the GTO didn't sell. :shrug:

srothfuss said:
Rummor has it that there is another on the drawing board though. They are only phasing out this platform. It might return under the Firebird name though.

I really hope so. The Muscle Cars were on their way back up and now they're dying again. Screw the imports, lets get American Muscle back. Even though its ugly, I'll miss the GTO and all the LS2 400hp worth of fear it put into every ricer.

Pliskin said:
I really hope so. The Muscle Cars were on their way back up and now they're dying again. Screw the imports, lets get American Muscle back. Even though its ugly, I'll miss the GTO and all the LS2 400hp worth of fear it put into every ricer.

Amen to that! :nice: :flag:

Though I got to admit I got my eye in a few years on a bimmer still too, just cuz their fancy shmanshy. and I kinda like em, heh.

FL2005GT said:
T4B, I ran into the exact same thing. I was going to try the GTO, but I couldn't even get a test drive. The sales manager claimed it was an "exsclusive, limited production" vehicle and that potential buyers (apparently meaning not me) wouldn't want a GTO that someone else had driven.

I told them to give me a call if they changed their policy on test drives. They did, about two months after I bought my Mustang.

Gosh, besides the styling, I wonder why else the GTO didn't sell. :shrug:

Total BS by the dealer. There have been huge rebates on the GTO. 15 months ago you could buy a leftover 04 GTO for considerably less than a Mustang GT.

351CJ said:
Total BS by the dealer. There have been huge rebates on the GTO. 15 months ago you could buy a leftover 04 GTO for considerably less than a Mustang GT.

Yeah but who would take an 04 GTO over a Stang? :D

05s are better though.

Gotta throw in my GTO story here. A couple of weeks ago I was northbound on I-95 in Delaware just south of Wilmington. This is an 4-lane northbound stretch that splits into I-95, I495 or a combination of I-295 and the Jersey Turnpike. Its always congested with idiot drivers trying to figure out what lane they need for the upcoming split because if your screw up you end up in the wrong state. I see a '06 GTO coming up the left lane pretty quickly but he gets caught up in the congestion. Some guy in a Maxima (probably thinks he sees a Grand Prix) decides to show the GTO guy how to weave through traffic. GTO guy just waits for his opening as we move onto I-495, moves alongside the Maxima (who guns it) and just floors it. Blink and he was gone like he was shot out of a cannon. Maxima guy sheepishly gets back into the slow lane wondering what the hell that was. Of course I watch this as I am flogging my 1.8 liter rental Sentra within an rpm of its life.

tjredgt2000 said:
Gotta throw in my GTO story here. A couple of weeks ago I was northbound on I-95 in Delaware just south of Wilmington. This is an 4-lane northbound stretch that splits into I-95, I495 or a combination of I-295 and the Jersey Turnpike. Its always congested with idiot drivers trying to figure out what lane they need for the upcoming split because if your screw up you end up in the wrong state. I see a '06 GTO coming up the left lane pretty quickly but he gets caught up in the congestion. Some guy in a Maxima (probably thinks he sees a Grand Prix) decides to show the GTO guy how to weave through traffic. GTO guy just waits for his opening as we move onto I-495, moves alongside the Maxima (who guns it) and just floors it. Blink and he was gone like he was shot out of a cannon. Maxima guy sheepishly gets back into the slow lane wondering what the hell that was. Of course I watch this as I am flogging my 1.8 liter rental Sentra within an rpm of its life.

I was actually gonna get a GTO. Great story though. I LOVE doing that to people. Especially at night when I have my fogs off and people think I'm a v6. Vroom vroom :)

I just bought my first Ford 2 weeks ago and it was black mustang GT. I'm a big GM guy and I've been driving a Camaro or Firebird since I was 15 which was 1986. So many people ask why would anyone buy a GTO? For some of us, its because there was nothing left to buy? When the f-body was discontinued, you basically had no choice. In 2004 I bought my first GTO because the new stang wasn't out yet and it was gonna be the next f-body. Hell, it had the ls1, how bad cout it be? Well, I had major paint problems so 3 months later, with huge discounts I traded in for another because the mustang was selling for over sticker and I paid 20,500 for a brand new GTO. A year later, I couldn't stand the bland styling of the GTO and crossed over to the Mustang. All I can say is that I love my stang.. GM pumped the GTO like it was a sports car when in reality it was a sedan. Yeah it was fast, but it never looked like much of anything. It felt like a BMW inside which a lot of people love, but I did not. Having owned both GTO's and a mustang, I can truly say I love my mustang and I really don't miss my GTO. Sorry for the long post