sbf heads

RUSTYNUT

Mar 22, 2007
PDX
I was reading a car mag and found an add for Patriot Performance sbf aluminum heads for $895.00 per pair assembled. These must be really new because they don't even have them listed on their sight. Any one have any experience with these guys? If there stuff is any good, sounds like a good buy.

185cc intake -260 cfm @ .600''
.550 hyd. roller springs
3/8'' studs
2.02''/1.60 stainless valves
guideplates

Looks like bronze guides and 60cc chambers and accsessory holes. Doesn't say.

• Sponsors (?)

patriot performance put themselves on the performance map when they started modifying 4.6 2v heads to get more airflow and power for the 4.6 2v engines. they seem to be a good company to deal with.

Looked like they had mostly bow tie stuff on their site and they looked well done. I was srongly leaning toward using a cleveland in my 68 because of the price tag on the windsor heads plus I love clevelands. But $895.00 HMMMM.

Patriot-a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion. I am guessing they are made in China because of the low price. It seems ironic if this is true. I am not on my soapbox today, just made me chuckle.

What isn't made in another country anymore. I know there is more to a set of heads than than looks, but if you set all the heads made on bench and had to pick the most expensive I bet these would get most of the votes. The pictures show no tool marks, crisp edges, clean smooth bowls, almost a polished look they are so nicely done. If they take that much care on the parts you see with your eyes, maybe they might have done a nice job on the important things. I will do more research before I would buy set. To be honest with all the modern methods availible I think It's crazy what people are charging for a set of heads. I am hoping that maybe some one has figured how to put some affordable quality heads on the market. Funny thing is I'm old enough to remember how every one laughed if you bought anything that said " MADE IN JAPAN".

$895

'round here, 895 is the nominal cost of machining your old heads... Then if something goes wrong, say valve recesses aren't deep enough, the cost skyrockets...

I'd much rather pay 895 (assuming that's the upper end of the budget) than trust Jed and his alcohol issues. Of course, consumer protection sucks in this state, i.e if you don't, in writing, ask for an estimate, any repair shop is in their legal constraints to 'fix' your car and present you the bill.

Consider a friend of mine, his heads originally cost 700 for machine work. Then plus, 850 more when things went south with valvetrain geometry.

Until I find a REPUTABLE machine shop, the Pro Comps sound like a pretty sweet deal. Sure, saving up for a better set sounds good. But, if you're like a friend of mine and have 4 engines waiting to go into four cars, they are a preferable option to Ye ole' machine shop. Especially considering they flow better than the unported cheating lying machine shop stock option.

I'd rather feed the Chinese than some incompetent booze head here in town.

Ok, rant over

Patriot started in the later 90s by taking GM truck cylinder heads and modding them for use on LS1 Camaros and Vettes.
Then they went into doing similar with Ford Mod heads.
I assume that they are continuing that MO by getting the cheapest possible aftermarket SBF castings and buiding them with their logo slapped on the box.

I haven't heard much talk about them in the past couple years, however, when they were doing the LSx heads, several guys had problems with parts failures. :(
It was all over the LSx boards at that time.
That is when they branched out into Modular heads, they had burnt their bridges into the LSx community with cheap parts and poor service.
Doubt they changed much.
You get what you pay for.
Dave

More thoughts

I've been mulling this over a little more. Assuming there isn't some early major mechanical failure in the heads (which is just as likely with a rebuilt set); once they need machining for a rebuild, you're still stuck with Jed.

Strip your hardware off the old ones and take them down with your beer cans and get .10 a pound. Buy a new set, which will, by then, probably be even less. Still better than helping Jed get another 12'vr of Keystone Light.

It's just real hard to consider alternatives when machining stock heads costs the same.

Oh, did I mention my co-worker (another machine shop victim) who invested 800 in a stock set and got them back with a crack in the mounting flange... Nice, she was able to JB weld and get 40 pounds of torque, might work... Most likely, 800 dollars in the toilet. That's two people burned! Not sure, but probably different shops!

Screw that!

I've been mulling this over a little more. Assuming there isn't some early major mechanical failure in the heads (which is just as likely with a rebuilt set); once they need machining for a rebuild, you're still stuck with Jed.

Strip your hardware off the old ones and take them down with your beer cans and get .10 a pound. Buy a new set, which will, by then, probably be even less. Still better than helping Jed get another 12'vr of Keystone Light.

It's just real hard to consider alternatives when machining stock heads costs the same.

Oh, did I mention my co-worker (another machine shop victim) who invested 800 in a stock set and got them back with a crack in the mounting flange... Nice, she was able to JB weld and get 40 pounds of torque, might work... Most likely, 800 dollars in the toilet. That's two people burned! Not sure, but probably different shops!

Screw that!
:D Sounds to me like there's a niche market in Boise for a good competent, honest machinst to move into.
:rlaugh: Last set of heads I did cost me $200 total to redo. Then I had a 34 year old set of 390 heads that cost me nothing more than a set of new seals to fix. And that after the engine had run 300* when a heater hose burst and it ran dry. Nothing cracked or warped. And the machine shop was aware of that bit of history.

:D Sounds to me like there's a niche market in Boise for a good competent, honest machinst to move into.
:rlaugh: Last set of heads I did cost me $200 total to redo. Then I had a 34 year old set of 390 heads that cost me nothing more than a set of new seals to fix. And that after the engine had run 300* when a heater hose burst and it ran dry. Nothing cracked or warped. And the machine shop was aware of that bit of history.

AMEN!!!

My frustration is, in a year or two, it'll be time to begin the 393... Who am I gonna trust? Hopefully by then, I'll know enough locals to be sure... A small group is growing out here, I'm sure there's lots more...

I think that anyone who has actually seen a set of pro-comp heads (myself included) will tell you that the heads are fine. The aluminum is quality, the valves are so-so and the valve springs are the bare minimum for generic hydraulic roller stuff.

For almost $900, is it worth saving the $200 over the Victor Jrs? Probably not.
If you have the springs and valves already though, its hard not to beat the $550 or so shipped for the 200cc bare set.

I went back and did some looking and was right, the thing that scares me off those Procomp heads are their "exclusive" (their words, not mine:D ) .400 thick decks. :rolleyes: Edelbrock's have at a minumum .565 (9/16") decks. Some other heads had 5/8" (.625) that I can't recall, it's been a few years since I was in th emarket for heads. ProComps advertising on the ebay auction I found them on, made it clear that the exclusive .400 deck was just the thing for Nitrous, Supercharging, high compression ratios, yada, yada, yada...............:rlaugh: Uh, I don't think so.:nono: :notnice: Even with a N/A motor, you'd better use the best gaskets money can buy and have the best bolts, then be VERY particular in block prep and torqing them down. And then pay close attention to the temps. :cool:

I wonder where these guys keep getting these 'quality' machine shops to do work for under $400 that costs me $700+ anywhere I look.

Don't start on that cost of living stuff in California deal here. Five years ago I lived in a small farming town where the median price of a house was $65K. My machinist charged $150 a head to do a valve job, plus parts, there. Here it's much lower - but the quality is worse.