SBF With 900 HP / Is this Possible / HOW

Manewaymja2

Feb 11, 2009
Hey huys i was wondering if there is any advice on how to get a SBF say 331 or 347 with a Procharger up to 900 Crank HP.

Can This be Done :shrug: and if So would say a 331 Dart Sportsman block with dished pistons (-14.2cc) along with Performer RPM Heads, Procharger P600 up to 14psi, and a nice cam from Comp Cams grind for the Blower. How far away from the 900HP Mark would that be with a SCT Tune and say maybe 80 lb injectors to be on the safe side?

And Also i know i would have to upgrade the Tremec Gear Box say a Nice Transmission from Neal Racing etc with a 9" Ford and 41 Spline Axles.

Please Chime in on this. Thanks Matt

• Sponsors (?)

It's been done but there was more than 14psi boost and something bigger up top than some RPM heads. Try some ported Victory Sr's, probally a bigger blower or perferably a turbo and about 30+ psi. The drivetrain is built, built, built, and then go break it and build it again.

definitely possible. last time i had my car dynoed, i was inline behind a guy from arkansas with a capri RS....thing had a sbf with an F1 procharger. he was there doing a street tune (he was about to do a "true street" event where he had to drive 100 miles between tracks, to 3 different tracks), but on the last pull, the tuner put a lot of fuel into it and he laid down 1247rwhp. don't know if he made it though, lol. i don't remember exactly, but he was pushing somewhere around 26lbs of boost, maybe more. LOUDEST car i've ever stood next to. it was ridiculous. kinda funny because when ryan stomped on it, everyone had to plug their ears, but the old guy in the blue shirt in the first pic just stood there doing his thing, tuning the car like nothing was happening. hahaha.

IMAGE_165.jpg

IMAGE_166.jpg

IMAGE_167.jpg

In one of the 5.0 mags a few years ago there was a Bennett built turbo 306 that had an ungodly amount of power. I want to say something like 1700 hp. The guy had a full interior, radio, ac and ran something like 7's as driven on the street! I'll have to see if I can dig up that article.

My buddies car has a simple combo:

331 Man O War based
Ported AFR 185's
Custom Cam from Ed Curtis
Spyder Intake
AEM
Comp Turbo making 18psi
TKO 900 trans

So far it's made 97x rwhp. Although that's a turbo, the big procharger shouldn't have much of an issue(probably require a higher boost NUMBER though)

900 + horsepower from a forced induction sbf is definately possible. 5 years ago I owned a 1987 GT hatch with a 347 dart block pushing 7.5:1 compression with twin T-76 Hellion Turbos pushing 32psi of boost it laid down 983hp to the tires. So yes virginia 900+hp is possible on a sbf

"as driven on the street"? i'd like to see that artical! peace

john
I went through 2003-2006 issues of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords twice before I finally found the article.

The article is in the Feb 2003 issue on page 122-126. It says on page 124 "This is 1,720 of the neatest horsepower you'll ever see. Lee's Bennett-built 306 sits gleaming in a spit-and-polish engine bay surrounded by polished ductwork and a hulking PTE turbo. So far, the R302-based overachiever has produced a best of 8.20 seconds at 171.90 mph."

I'd photocopy the entire article, but I'd probably get in trouble for copywright laws. The main reason why it took so long to find was because the stang was not on the front cover. This is what the cover looks like.
View attachment 232312

And here's a pic I took of that same mustang at FFW in Chandler, AZ.:nice:
View attachment 232313

My YSI 331 combo put down 700+ with around 20 lbs of boost from a YSI. you'll need everying new the only thing your going to be able to reuse is your motor mounts, maybe..

listen I de tuned mine unless you have a 10pt cage and funny car tires there is NO point at any power over 600hp IMO.

after that Its just spinning wheels, and a hole muscle flex's