Scale Auto Model Build Off?

Dont mind the orange peel on the 1/4, I have to cut and buff it, but the roof in this pic is basically done... I wasnt originally going to do two tone, but ended up with some paint issues on the bottem, and figure, why not!

510784_326_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I found a project. I bought an 85 SVO model off Ebay and want to make it into an 89 LX. The hardest parts are going to be the nose and 1/4 windows. The nose on the SVO model consists of only the lower part. The hood and headlights make up the upper. So I was going to cut the upper nose from the cobra model and insert it. The 1/4 windows are going to be hard too. I was thinking of cutting the entire roof off and insert the 93 Cobra roof on it. Either that or carefully cut out the existing area on this model. I have an extra 91 GT convertible model to use for the engine, seats, hood, etc., but I don't have the wheels. So finding a set of Pony wheels is going to be the hardest part. I will still have to buy the 93 Cobra model because I can't find my extra set of quarter windows from that model. I will also need it for the interior bucket and front nose.

This is not the same auction, but it's the same model I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monogram-1985-M...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110077503451

I found a project. I bought an 85 SVO model off Ebay and want to make it into an 89 LX. The hardest parts are going to be the nose and 1/4 windows. The nose on the SVO model consists of only the lower part. The hood and headlights make up the upper. So I was going to cut the upper nose from the cobra model and insert it. The 1/4 windows are going to be hard too. I was thinking of cutting the entire roof off and insert the 93 Cobra roof on it. Either that or carefully cut out the existing area on this model. I have an extra 91 GT convertible model to use for the engine, seats, hood, etc., but I don't have the wheels. So finding a set of Pony wheels is going to be the hardest part. I will still have to buy the 93 Cobra model because I can't find my extra set of quarter windows from that model. I will also need it for the interior bucket and front nose.

This is not the same auction, but it's the same model I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monogram-1985-M...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110077503451

Youre probably better off using the '93 Cobra for the body and interior since theyre already right for the year.
Im guessing you really wanted the SVO for just the bumpers. If so trying using them on the Cobra. Just sand off the Cobra's body ground effects and put the SVO bumpers on it and use the '93 headlight setup. Youre still going to have to make the LX grille but thats just a bar so it shouldnt be too hard.
Swapping roofs is more work than really necessary.

I won't make my decision until I get the Cobra model. I think I want to try to use the SVO body though because it has a more accurate rear bumper and spoiler. I will have to cut the front on both sides where the headlights connect to the body because they will not line up to the Cobra clip. With the Cobra body, I would have to cut all the ground effects. The only big obstacles I see are sanding down the sideskirts in the rear and getting the quarter windows to line up. I agree that cutting the roofs is a little more work than it's worth.

true story there friend...my 85 GT die cast has dual h-pipe exhaust...and some proportions arent quite right...ill take it any day for sure though

They also screw up the noses on a lot of the cars, 'cause they've got the fender extensions as part of the nose like a Saleen nose would be, and the molding/belt lines around the car are pretty much all screwed up or wrong for the year. On one hand it's awesome that there's any kind of Fox collectibles, but on the other hand with as many resources as there are it shouldn't have been hard to get it right....but anyways lets not turn this into a GMP debate :)

I'm gonna work on my Cobra some tonight. I've been working 60+ hours a week so i'm WAY behind in the build process.