Scariest automotive mishap you've had?

I don't have any great ones with my car, but I do have some good on the farm experiences. Its been several years, but when I was maybe 14-15 and got out of school for the day, I went to relieve my grandfather who had been working all day. He had just gotten done filling one of our grain trucks and shut the tractor off and got out. After visiting for a while, he started to leave, and before I got into the tractor I thought I would take a leak between the rear tractor duals in front of the tires. Well, my little brother (10) thought he would be a help and start the tractor for me. The thing was, my grandpa left it in gear and the SOB did start and to this day I don't know how I am here. I don't remember even reaching for the handles and stepping up onto the ladder, but I apparantly did...
Another good farm accident happened when I was helping my dad back the tractor w/ planter attached into the tool shed. Well, when it's hooked up, its really to long for our shed, so you have to get it close to the back wall and angle the tractor at a 45* angle to close the door. Well, my dad got within about two feet of the back wall and I threw my hands up to motion him to stop. I believe when I did this he was shifting from looking over his right shoulder to his left and didn't see my hands, next thing I know I am between the planter and the sheet metal on the shed and he released the clutch.... WOW! All 40 tons pressed against my chest, talk about a shock absorber. I tried to throw my hands and wave to stop, but it was no use, untill he clutched again and it rolled forward. It left a slight imprint of my body in the metal and to this day learned... never get between a rock and a hard place.

• Sponsors (?)

on my 93 LX I used to have it overheated one night when riding around with a friend i was able to get it home. I popped the hood to check if there was a leak anywhere cause we had just refilled with radiator with water. Well it got so hot that when i popped the hood to take a look see the radiator cap that was untouched by me at this very second came shooting off and hit me in the head (scalding hot) and coolant and water came exploding all over me. My buddie stood there in amazment that this had happened while I (16 at that time) was doubled over in the garage screaming obcenities and yelling for a rag to wipe myself off.
I had a red mark on my forehead from that radiator cap for almost two weeks. I am glad that has only happened to me once before. It really sucked!

my 66 you have to spray starter fluid in to get it started most of the time. Well i was always to lazy to take teh air filter off so i would just spray it in the intake tube. well one day I started it noticed smoke and was like what the hell i took the housing off and the air cleaner was on fire i was like **** and droped it back down got in shut the car off got backout and was like oh **** what do i do lol then it hit me get it off the motor i threw the filter on the ground and started jumping on it. I ended up bubbling the paint on the filter cover thing nothing real major but i was scared my dad was gonna kill me

bjl95mustang said:
Damn, you guys are stupid.

I think the worst for me is knocking the hood prop off and having the hood fall on my back.

:rlaugh: I've never done that, but my friend knocked the hood down on me by accident. Another time a gust of wind caught it (I was in my driveway), lifted it up just right so the rod fell out, and it came crashing down on me.

bjl95mustang said:

I think the worst for me is knocking the hood prop off and having the hood fall on my back.

Aren't you the guy who had the TFI module fly off the car then had to push the car home in front of your neighbors? I remember reading your mother or someone saw you pushing it down the street.

VibrantRedGT said:
bjl95mustang said:

Aren't you the guy who had the TFI module fly off the car then had to push the car home in front of your neighbors? I remember reading your mother or someone saw you pushing it down the street.

:owned: Sorry Brandon, I couldn't resist. :D

VibrantRedGT said:

No, i unpluged the tfi with the tire and had to tow it 1/2 a mile.

The extra coil fell off later when I was driving it.

Get it right lol.

A funny story was me changing my oil. I had taken off the drain plug and drained the old oil when i heard my phone ring inside the house. Answered it and talked for about 15 min and came back outside to finish, but i totally forgot i didn't ever put the drain plug back on. So i basically poured 5 perfectly new quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic into the motor and out into the oil pan full of nasty oil lol.

I was jacking up the rear of my friends fox body to take the car off the jackstands because we had just taken the tranny out. He had a cheapo jack but it still had the handle you twist to let the car down. He also modified the handle, It was about half the length it usually is. Well I Jacked the car up, removed the jackstands and started to twist the handle. It was really friggin tight so I brought the handle near vertical and tried my hardest to twist very slightly. Well that cheap ass jack had two speeds, stop ang go, before I knew it my hand was between the inside of the rear bumper and the rear of the jack handle. It was pinchng the 5hit outta my hand...stupid me...instead of trying to lift the car back up I proceeded to rip my hand out leaving a quarter size piece of flesh behind ( from between my thumb and fore finger...hurt and bled like a mother trucker!

Doing my x-pipe, I'm bolting it to the catback, so the car is jacked up in the back. Now, I always leave the weight of the vehicle on the jack and put jackstands under it anyway, and I'd be dead right now if I didn't because my mother came into the drive way after walking the dog and he came running over to see me with his leash still attached.

The damn loop on the end of his leash got caught on the jack handle sitcking out from underneath the bumper and somehow he managed to twist the handle so the jack released. The jackstands caught the car as it lowered but I would be much thinner today if I hadn't placed them there.

adam

Guess i'll post mine, not as exciting about some, but still the scarriest that happened to me while working on the car. I was under the hood chaning plugs with my dad and my girlfriend. After removing the last plug on the drivers side I went to set the ratchet down and accidently set it directly accross the battery terminals. I wasn't paying any attention but all of a sudden there were sparks EVERYWHERE, it was like the 4th of July. Then I almost just grabbed it off (that woulda been bad) but my dad instead hit it off of the battery with a rubber handled hammer. Anwho, that ratchet was pretty melted down where it gapped the terminals, but the battery wasn't dead.

Moral of the story: Not only unplug the battery, cover it with something that won't conduct electricity!