School me on performance driving, cause I suck at it.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
I think im a little too scared to push my Mustang to its full potential, and I think thats gonna cause me some humiliation...

So first up... when you guys are launching, do you do it off idle or above idle, but not high enough to just waste the tires? I tend to do so just off idle and bog down, but not spin at all.

Next up is shifting. Im a friggin wuss when it comes to this. I guess im scared to get my timing wrong and put extra wear on the tranny. So I wait till the clutch is all the way down and my foot is off the gas before I move the shifter, then once its locked into gear I pop the clutch back out and floor it again... Im sure there is a better way, but im a little worried about screwing something up trying to get my timing down. Any pointers on quick shifting?

And then... theres nailing it from a roll. I tend to start too low of an RPM, not in the powerband... and by the time the car starts to get moving its usually too late for what im trying to do. When I mean low, I mean like 24-2600 RPM's... How much time and power is that actually costing me when I need to get out of my own way?

And last, I never wind the engine out. If I floor it and im not racing, I usually shift by 4-4500 RPM... Maybe 5k, but the first time I raced I shifted at 5500, I guess im just worried about spinning the engine that high though.

I guess thats about it, im not scared to say that im not the best driver.

Edit: The car ran a 9 flat in the 1/8th mile with the previous owner, so the car has it in it, but I dont feel that im driving it too well.

• Sponsors (?)

At the dragstrip: with street tires I wouldn't launch more than 2k rpms, but def not off idle... Light turns green, drop the clutch and mash the pedal, 5,500 rpms come up, leave your foot on the gas and pop the clutch in and slam it into second real quick. Shouldn't be a problem as you do have a MGW.

Just get out and drive it like you stole it and get some practice!!

So your pretty much suggesting to practice some power shifting? Ive done it at lower RPM's, and its been fine... but I know that tach is gonna swing around fast under wide open throttle.

Off topic... but I see that your in Irmo SC... Are you coming down for Mustang Week this year?

Cant really advise you on launch rpm, because I dont really have that down myself. Shifting wise I feel I'm pretty decent. I dont powershift as its an easy way to grenade a stock tranny if you screw up, but I do shift pretty quick. Aside from the footwork, I basically just get my hand on the shifter and be ready to pull or push into the next gear, not just resting my hand on the knob. Just drive it and learn to be "one" with the car. It will become second nature.

From a roll, just put it in the gear that corresponds with the speed your going and for what you want to do. Say you're crusing at 40 in 4th and you go WOT, it wont do much stock; 3rd would be good enough for passing, but if you put it in second, thats right about where 1st runs out on stock gears and you would be right in the power band instantly.

Try not to worry so much about revving it up. Stock we dont have a whole lot of grunt down low, and just as its said just about every day, these engines run better in the higher RPM, particularly from 3500 to 5500 they pull pretty good. Past 5500 I have heard is pretty much pointless, but I go to redline just because its an easier shift point for me because I think its easier to see.

Drive it and enjoy it. I wouldnt say rag the hell outa the thing, I certainly dont, but its a hell of alot of fun to drive these cars. I love driving mine hard on occassion, the car feels great and I enjoy it, no problems.

ab 281 gt said:
At the dragstrip: with street tires I wouldn't launch more than 2k rpms, but def not off idle... Light turns green, drop the clutch and mash the pedal, 5,500 rpms come up, leave your foot on the gas and pop the clutch in and slam it into second real quick. Shouldn't be a problem as you do have a MGW.

Just get out and drive it like you stole it and get some practice!!

Sorry, but go on the last yellow light. Dumping the clutch = spinning tires on a nonprepped track. Experiment with different RPMs, and slip the clutch. See which yields you the best 60' and stick with it.

And practice makes pretty good, so stop being a pansy :).

i wouldnt powershift with stock trans (meaning you should lift off the gas between shifts no matter how fast)

launching takes lots of work. find an empty road and try a bunch of different ways.

i find i drive better when i dont overt hink my shifting, just let it come naturally. also if you dont have an aftermarket shifter i would get one. definatly helps ya find the gears faster/easier

also with stock motors you dont need to go much past 5K if at all

Well I found out real quick my GT needs to be at least 2k on the launch...any lower and its going to be terrible....I go at 2k and just slip the clutch on out for a pretty good result even on regular BFG KDW tires that arent drag radials.
My problem is though when I slam 2nd my tires break loose really bad and the car is going sideways...which of course ****s my time up big time but off the line I stick...my guess is the track prep is weak after the launch area.
I dont powershift my car at all....just shift the living hell out of it all the way down....the 3650 isnt that great to start with and my friend bought a brand new GT and after 4k of powershifting on occasion his went kaboom in pieces.
Remember though practice will make perfect...just go out there and try out new things...ive read a lot on mustang boards on how to launch etc but once I got there that stuff didnt mean jack....you will get used to it just go have fun.

I used to drive like a grandpa too. Once you get the feel for your car and tranny....you'll slowly start becoming more daring with it. Not that I drive crazy...but I can shift pretty quickly without powershifting and can launch the car with some proper clutch work at about 2-2.5k without spinning the wheels. I feel comfortable downshifting to pass, etc, etc. So just go out and play...pushing your limits a little each time....just don't go crazy stupid and blow your engine or tranny or something. The tranny's are pretty solid, but if you look real closely, you might see a correlation between how people claim they drive in the "talk" section and how many threads they start in the "tech" section. :D

launching - i hover at 1500rpm till the last yellow, then i go half thottle as i ease out of the clutch and gain momentum, then i go full out, and slip the clutch more. if tires start to spin too much, i ease back into the clutch to lessen power to the ground. if you ease up on the throttle, you will grab and bog.

as for shifting, only time will make you a more confident driver. gotta shift with authority, dont do this :taco: shift where you just engage the clutch enough to move the gears, you gotta bang that sucker down to the floor, and pop it back up in one motion. sometimes i even use a NLTS method (no lift to shift), that i used to use during my turbo days to keep spooled during a shift. its relatively useless on my GT other than to spin into 2nd and bark 3rd.

as for drifting, if you have to ask, youre already on your way into a tree/lightpole. just start with getting used to how your car reacts to getting sideways from a stop at low speeds, before you start entering turns sideways and have no idea of whats going to happen or how the car is going to react. when you can control the car without thinking about it(and you will know when that time comes) then you are only 10% of the way to drifting.