Scratch the Cats or spank the monkey?

GDawg

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2002
Nevada
This sucks... it all started out with me getting some water into my tail pipes (or I think that was what it was) and the car started to run like crap and the CEL came on. P1131. So, over time I think I'm blowing out the water and little by little the car is coming back to normal. Now there is a clanking noise coming from my passenger side center cat. I got under the car with a stethoscope and the noise is definitely coming from that cat. There is a dent on that cat like I bottomed out on something. The clanking follows the rhythm of the engine rpms.

Do I replace the middle cat with a universal fit for $100?

I can't really afford an off road H-pipe right now.

I have no smog checks in my county.

How hard would it be to gut the cats and put some MILs on?

Or should I just buy the one replacement cat?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a stainless Bassani X with gutted cats. I bought it off craigslist for $100, then sold it when I started my new build for about the same. I just looked on craigslist and I found 3 locally o/r X and H pipes....all of them were less than $100. One of my friends had a custom X pipe made at a local muffler shop and installed (welded in) for less than $120.

I will have to look, but several years ago I wrote an article about how to make your own MIL eliminators. They worked great until I removed one of the O2 sensors to put a wide band in there......then it threw a code. I will look and see if I still have that article....I know I have the pictures, but I just need to see if I have the write up.

I found an "H pipe" on Craigslist in Denver. I contacted the guy and Thursday I'll drive up there. He wants $100 and he says it came off a '97 GT so it should fit my '98. I found an article how to make the MIL eliminator but would be interested in any more information cause eventually I want to put in a wide band sensor.

Oh hell, I just realized you are in Colorado Springs. Let me take a look, I might know of a place here local to get one. There was one for sale local, Bassani stainless X (the modular one), but I think he wanted $200 for it. I will check with the guy I know here and see if he still has the one from his shorties.

Oh hell, I just realized you are in Colorado Springs. Let me take a look, I might know of a place here local to get one. There was one for sale local, Bassani stainless X (the modular one), but I think he wanted $200 for it. I will check with the guy I know here and see if he still has the one from his shorties.

I'm looking for an "H" pipe not an "X". I can buy a new BBK "H" for $200. $100 is the most I can afford right now. Hopefully this guy in Denver still has it in a couple days.

Looks just like the one on my 98. The passenger side flange will become your worst nightmare if your car has ever seen road salt. :notnice: If you pick it up then also swing by an autoparts place and pick up a new flange gasket for the passenger side too.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey bro, I am replacing my mid pipe soon, right now I have a 2 cat Magnaflow X Pipe. I moved from NJ, big emissions control State, to SC, NO inspection at all. I am getting a Magnaflow catless X Pipe at a cost of around $500. If you want my old pipe, it's yours for $100 plus shipping. What State are you in?? It is 3 years old. PM me if interested.