Screw the Hand Polishing..Sent the Fox VC's Out!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Im getting sick of hand polishing this $hit and still having hairline scratches. THose fox VC's look :drool: when polished like a mirror. I sent them out today for $100 to have polished. This shop has done work for me before.. Wait till you see how they come out. I sure hope to h3ll they fit right and fit with the current stock gaskets.
RC

• Sponsors (?)

Well Rob, I just started polishing a set myself last night that I got off of Charlie (THANKS BUDDY!)... I can see already this is going to be a challenge due to the all the pours in these cast covers... it won't beat me though!!! I'll post pics of the finished project when I'm done.

They dont have any super fine papers for the power tools....that's where the problem comes in. After talking to the guy at the polishing shop, he said, when you start using your hand to sand, you get the uneven pressures across.. They stop sanding at 320, because they use machines.

ALSO...You guys know Ive done this before, but with the pool in the yard now(and new) I have tons of yard work and landscaping to keep me busy for the next few weeks. The VC's are the limiting step for me to continue putting the parts back on.

Vortech SHOULD be coming in today (finally)

Badingle: did you just reuse the stock thin gaskets?

RC

I have these valve covers
fms-m-6582-e302p.jpg

I tried just polishing them without sanding, but that didn't do much. Does anybody know if these are coated? They look good right now, but mirror-like.

Attachments

• fms-m-6582-e302p.jpg
    fms-m-6582-e302p.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 84
What is the advantage of using the Fox stock valve covers? Not trying to be funny, just wondering. Other than they are easier to obtain that our valve covers.

If that's the only reason, you guys might want to take a look at a set of covers off of a lo-po 5.0. I had both hoods open and was comparing the covers on the Grand Monkey, and they appear to be identical to the ones on the GT. The oil filler looks to be in the same location, because the upper intake is facing the opposite way.

If there is some other reason please enlighten me.

urban96 said:
the two reasons i know of are
1, alum and can be polished
2, slightly taller so they allow for bigger rockers

My reason is the first above.

I painted the stockers, and it looked better than normal, but not like the alum ones polished. This shop does GREAT work!! When I get them back tomorrow, I will post a couple of pics.
RC

Hmm, are you uploading as a goldmember or something? I keep getting a popup to login, that must be it. If you want it hosted, send it over to me @comcast.net.