SCT TOLD ME YOU CAN'T ADJUST FOR GEARS ON 97?

I got a xcalibrator today mainly to adjust for my gears and tires and played around with it for awhile couldn't find anything to make adjustments to these things so I figured it would be in my custom tunes since I told the dealer all my mods. Took the car out and drove it and speedo is still off now I'm gettin pissed called the dealer didn't answer phone so I called SCT and they said you can only make these changes on 99 and up. Are they wrong or am I going to have to send this thing back? Being able to tweak timing and AFR isn't really worth $400 if I make changes for speedo too.

• Sponsors (?)

The Speedcal connects to the speedo cable at the tranny and then sends the signal to adjust for whatever gear and tire ration with a combination of dip switches.

On the 96 you have to disconnect the battery after each flash to "reset the keep alive memory". I got fed up with having to reset presets and clocks so I got rid of it. There was nothing in the fine print about that when i bought it.

DeadLifter said:
Tom. Shouldn't a speed cal work ok. Replacing the driven gear has always left my speedos off in the 5.0's I've had and I don't feel like rippin the tailshaft off the tranny to replace the drive gear. Gettin Lazy.
Speedcal works fine...actually the gear is easy to swap too. Don't have to get at the tail shaft. It is a gear where the speedo cable goes into the tranny. I had one but it tore up in about a year so I went with the speedcal.

I suggest just getting the speed cal, with 4.10s and up you have to use the 23 tooth speedo gear which pretty much gets destroyed over short period of time. With my 96 I use the stock 19 tooth speedo gear with 4.30s and a viper t56, my speedo is dead on since I had help from the guy who designed the speed cal.

Coramprat.
There's a driven gear on the end of the cable and there's a drive gear in the tranny if you want to get the speedo working the way it should without chewin up the gears they both need to be changed.
I got lucky and they said they'd take the Xcalibrator back. I'm gonna go with a speed cal and MIL deletes.
Can you program the speed calibrators yourself or do they do it for you?

DeadLifter said:
Coramprat.
There's a driven gear on the end of the cable and there's a drive gear in the tranny if you want to get the speedo working the way it should without chewin up the gears they both need to be changed.
New one on me...I still have the tail shaft gear then. After my gear install I needed my car back so I didn't have him install the speedo or tranny gear. I put the driven gear in and left it at that. Didn't know what to do with the other. :shrug:
I got lucky and they said they'd take the Xcalibrator back. I'm gonna go with a speed cal and MIL deletes.
Can you program the speed calibrators yourself or do they do it for you?
At least they took it back. I was SOL with mine since I'd had it for 6 months. I did trade it for a dyno tune and switch chip plus 200 cash. Worked out OK for me since a dyno tune would have cost about 600 anyway. I only paid 325 for the Xcal so I came out good.

The Speedcal is set up easily yourself. Dallas Mustang has a how-to on their site...works for the Brothers piece too since they are both the same.

I have had a Dallas Mustang Speedcal for over four years
now and I never had a problem with it.Yes,the DM site has
directions.I installed my DM Speedcal in 30 mins. it was quite
easy.