SCT Tuning

Pizzaman

Aug 7, 2003
HI Guys,

Cant seem to locate a website where i can get comfortable with the X3 I bought last month. I bought from Modernmuscle so i could get free tunes if i buy from them. Anyhow, they sent a custom tune on the unit and i loaded it onto the car and it helped alot from what i could tell, but I went from 20-22 mpg to 15-16. Is this typical.

It was tuned for 4.10s, and o/r X with K/N drop in. Being an automatic it made it shift real nice. Just today I wanted to try and move it to the loaded "economy" tune, I chose this and then it had me go through the mods I could adjust, but not being comfortable I didnt change anything except the gear ration and back 02s off. Is this safe for the car to run this way?

Also pulled a DTC code of PO782, which is not included in the user manual for the X3. Strategy of RVAFat6, what does that mean?

The SCT website wasnt much help, did any of you use a particular website to get comfortable with the tuner? I think I need to find some local users around here to get used to this but until then I think i need to read more.

Thanks Guys.

• Sponsors (?)

from what i found on the internet that code says you have a 2 to 3 shift malfunction. how is the car running? is it shifting ok?

the drop in milage isnt normal. it sounds like your running rich witch is normal considering its a mail order tune. most places write the tunes on the safe side when tuning via mail order. on top of that you dont really have enough mods to warrent a custom tune. I would just run a tune that the xcal writes for you.

With the minimal mods it is hard to justify the expense of a handheld tuner in my opinion...but you already have it. It would be a safe bet to take it to a tuner and get a road or dyno tune. You already have the major expense covered and a good tuner can dial in a good one for your car and show you the best ways to get the most out of your tuner. Shouldn't cost any more than 150 bucks...probably less.

It was recommended to buy this tuner to correct the RMP/MPH from the 4.10 gears on here. And by all means, with the tune that Modern Muscle put in the tuner the car is completely different. It runs really good throughout, but i want to return some of the fuel economy if possible. Also the wife doesnt like the shift jolt.
I guess I should reform the question, if I go with the "economy" tune included on the X3 and only adjust the gears and shutoff the back 02s and leave the spark and fuel and egr, etc at 0 or whereever it defaults will i hurt the car? I did this and the car seems to run fine and shift softer and faster, but i dont want to be hurting the car by spark or fuel being off.
Does that make more sense? Sorry just anxious.

from what i found on the internet that code says you have a 2 to 3 shift malfunction. how is the car running? is it shifting ok?

The car seems to be running fine, but there is a bit of jerkyness at times (thought this was common with all automatics).

It was recommended to buy this tuner to correct the RMP/MPH from the 4.10 gears on here.
Not bad advise by any means...just a difference of opinion.

And by all means, with the tune that Modern Muscle put in the tuner the car is completely different. It runs really good throughout, but i want to return some of the fuel economy if possible. Also the wife doesnt like the shift jolt.
I guess I should reform the question, if I go with the "economy" tune included on the X3 and only adjust the gears and shutoff the back 02s and leave the spark and fuel and egr, etc at 0 or whereever it defaults will i hurt the car? I did this and the car seems to run fine and shift softer and faster, but i dont want to be hurting the car by spark or fuel being off.
Does that make more sense? Sorry just anxious.
You should be OK with the "economy" tune. The defaults will not hurt and you have to ability to tweek those as needed.

The thing I would worry about is the aggressiveness of the performance tune causing fuel usage. My car has very little if any change in fuel mileage between the economy tune and the performance. Sounds like the car is running rich but the only way to tell is to run a datalog.