SCT Xcal 3....used OK?

89StangGT50

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2001
TX
A friend of mine got rid of his stang and is going to sell me his Xcal 3. There are no tunes loaded onto it.

If I was to buy and install the JLT-II or C&L Race would I be able to get/download or program it to get the car running well enough to drive it somewhere for the real tune?

Ive never really heard any experienced with buying these used

• Sponsors (?)

As long has he returned his to stock then the programmer is unlocked and you can use it to load the tune onto your car. Problem is, they make the tunes based off of your strategy code and they are probably both different. I would order a tune from bamachips or brenspeed and give them your code and they will email you back with a tune which you can load onto the programmer and then program your computer.

I bought mine used and all I did was order a tune from bamachips and loaded it on my car and all was well. Dont run the intake without a tune though, it will throw a code since the MAF housing is larger than stock.

yea its totally cool, even if its locked an authorized dealer can unlock it (for a fee like always), but u can send ur tuner in to whoever is gonna do it and can load it for u so u can save the headache of having to do it urself if ur computer illiterate (like me), sent mine to evo. perfmance

If you do it yourself its pretty easy. You just use the software that came with the tuner (or download the newest one) and purchase an email tune. It takes 5 minutes to set it up on the tuner and then you are good to go. I have done it a few times now. If you need help doing the computer side let me know and I can guide you through it.