SCT Xcalibrator 2 Questions...

menasci

Aug 17, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I am thinking of getting a SCT Xcalibrator 2.
I already have a Hypertech Programmer, and will sell it.
Is the SCT Xcalibrator 2 like the Hypertech where I just plug it in and answer yes/no quetions to tune the car?
Do I need to have a laptop connected at the same time?
Or is the SCT Xcalibrator 2 already programmed with tunes?
I am really confused. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Check out the other thread I had going earlier on here....Handheld tune vs. Dyno tune vs. Mail order tune.

No laptop needed, SCT can be ordered with semi-custom tunes, depending on where you get it from. Just plug it in.

I don't have one but have been checkin'em a lot lately and from what I understand, it comes with tunes depending where you buy it. Modular Depot sells it with two tunes and you have support for like 1 month after for mail order tune.

To modify the tune, the person who makes the tune must give you the tune file and you can do it from your computer by downloading the software needed which I don't remember the name.

Laptop can be use for logging info while you are running. I don't know if the self logging feature has been released yet but I was waiting for it before buying.

Hope this helps.

menasci said:
Well, I work with a guy who has one and will sell it to me.
He has a 98 v6 stang.
No idea where he got it, it was a gift.
Should I buy it?
NO! each tuner is loaded with a particular cars computer code so it will only work with that particular EEC. this is how SCT and Diablo keep from losing money by having people share tuners. if you do get it you will have to send it back to either the tuner or SCT to have the other cars code erased and yours loaded to it, and im sure it costs some cash. just buy your own brand new.

Depends on how much. $380 new...with semi-custom tunes. Wouldn't use the tune from his car on yours obviously, so all you could really do with it is make your own adjustments, which are limited in way of tuning. Be good for speedo corrections and O2 elimination, etc though. So it really just depends on what you want it for.

DocG2828 said:
Depends on how much. $380 new...with semi-custom tunes. Wouldn't use the tune from his car on yours obviously, so all you could really do with it is make your own adjustments, which are limited in way of tuning. Be good for speedo corrections and O2 elimination, etc though. So it really just depends on what you want it for.

$150

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a used tuner. If the Xcal 2 operates similarly to the Diablo Predator, as long as the person you buy it from first restores the stock tune to their vehicle via the tuner, you will be able to use it. Downside is the pre-loaded tunes on it won't really be applicable to your vehicle, as Helty posted, since your ECU code is radically different from a '98 V6. It would, however, be entirely suited for custom or dyno tuning, or for use with the SCT Pro Racer Package, IF restoring the stock tune to the original vehicle it was used with unlocks it as posted above.

Like others said it needs the original car reflashed stock tune then it can have a new tune for your car put on. If you were planning on a dyno tune and it was "unlocked" I think it'd be a good way to save a few bucks. Now if it's locked to the original car it's pretty much a paperweight.

If possible, try it on your car to make a minor change to it (recalibrate speedo or something)....to see if it will work on your car. It'd be worth 150 bucks if you can get it to unlock for your car. IMO...for the 250 savings, you could almost just get a dyno tune...the mail-order tune isn't worth 250 bucks!

1. You can not buy a used SCT Xcal unless it hasnt already been vin locked. WHich means the tunes on it are already locked to that specific cars ecu code. a 98 V6 Xcal will not work for a 2001 GT.

If you want a product that has been known to be unreliable, the tunes are generic and really aren't that great as the tune tables arent as good as a SCT,known to be too lean and is a non adaptive tune, then by all means get the Predator.

I researched this when I bought mine and talked to a few tuners, and a few that have had both. I chose SCT.

Also having talked to a few tuners, when getting a true custom or dyno tune, it doesn't matter whether you have a Diablo or SCT flash tuning device. The actual tuning software used by a Diablo or SCT gives virtually the same results; the difference is in the competence of the person using it. The flash tuner itself is only the medium used to download the tune.

Give Me TP said:
Also having talked to a few tuners, when getting a true custom or dyno tune, it doesn't matter whether you have a Diablo or SCT flash tuning device. The actual tuning software used by a Diablo or SCT gives virtually the same results; the difference is in the competence of the person using it. The flash tuner itself is only the medium used to download the tune.
I have to disagree. By that thinking all tuning products are created equal then.

Here are what other tuners like Ed Clark and Ken from Modular Depot think of the predator.
"There's alot more to it. How about the timing tables? Maybe the Predator adds global timing, we create a complete new table. Why add 3 degrees everywhere when you only need it at say, 5,000 rpm? For the Predator to ship and work with a multitude of cars, they have to be conservative. Once you get it, you can only add timing globally or in certain ranges. Plus, if you think you are qualified to retune your car, then have at it."

"1. Globally adjusted timing tables.
2. Glitchy software that sometimes locks up your computer.
3. ZERO technical support.
4. 75% of the adjustments simply do not work.
5. No fine tuning of spark and air fuel."

"My experience at the dyno with predators is that they use too much timing and are too lean. And that's not always but a large majority of the time. When enough fuel was added to correct the situation things like load and timing were way off. This means that they are adding fuel in the base fuel tables. Another clue to this is adding fuel based on RPM ranges. The results to this is a tune that doesn't take CORRECT load and timing into consideration. This results in a dangerous non-adaptive tune. And a few of these things didn't change the final timing even though we pulled 5 degrees twice. Junk.

These are just a few of the reasons SCT perfers to make tuners this way. You want a CORRECT tune right?

And Propellerhead, your comments about not having any issues with Diablo's customer support means you haven't tried using them. It's essentially none exisitant.

Ed"

I dunno. Two well known tuners right there and their views. Maybe thats why they now use SCT and not Diablo.

blackfang said:
I have to disagree. By that thinking all tuning products are created equal then.

Here are what other tuners like Ed Clark and Ken from Modular Depot think of the predator.
"There's alot more to it. How about the timing tables? Maybe the Predator adds global timing, we create a complete new table. Why add 3 degrees everywhere when you only need it at say, 5,000 rpm? For the Predator to ship and work with a multitude of cars, they have to be conservative. Once you get it, you can only add timing globally or in certain ranges. Plus, if you think you are qualified to retune your car, then have at it."

"1. Globally adjusted timing tables.
2. Glitchy software that sometimes locks up your computer.
3. ZERO technical support.
4. 75% of the adjustments simply do not work.
5. No fine tuning of spark and air fuel."

"My experience at the dyno with predators is that they use too much timing and are too lean. And that's not always but a large majority of the time. When enough fuel was added to correct the situation things like load and timing were way off. This means that they are adding fuel in the base fuel tables. Another clue to this is adding fuel based on RPM ranges. The results to this is a tune that doesn't take CORRECT load and timing into consideration. This results in a dangerous non-adaptive tune. And a few of these things didn't change the final timing even though we pulled 5 degrees twice. Junk.

These are just a few of the reasons SCT perfers to make tuners this way. You want a CORRECT tune right?

And Propellerhead, your comments about not having any issues with Diablo's customer support means you haven't tried using them. It's essentially none exisitant.

Ed"

I dunno. Two well known tuners right there and their views. Maybe thats why they now use SCT and not Diablo.
You're still on a personal quest against Diablosport? I believe those posts were comparing the Predator with the SCT Pro Racer Package. Those are two different products. Apples to oranges. Look at the Xtreme Tune software. It does just about the same as the Predator when it comes to adjusting timing. Secondly, Modular Depot is sponsored by SCT. They sell SCT products. A lot of the reviews and comments are heavily slanted towards SCT. Let me repeat... they sell SCT products. Any Diablosport thread is pretty much ignored over there. Go reference other message boards. Look at ones that are sponsored by both SCT and Diablosport. You'll find a more even playing field and you'll get a more informative assessment that's not influenced by a possible sale.

I think the Predator isn't as good as the Xcal/Xal2. I hear people ******ing about the predator and how it doesnt work at times and its acting up, the tunes arent that good, etc. So I think that is enough for me to make up my mind without needing the feedback from the tuners.

No, all I did was just provided feedback that someone said they talked to tuners and they all stated the tunes are the same. I disagreed as did these guys.

Actually no it was about the xcal2, want me to link it for ya? No, again you got your info wrong, the xcal2 and the predator are the same. That thread wasnt even about the PRP. I asked about the PRP as i was thinking of buying it.

I cant help it you every response you had, you were shot down by Ed Clark, who BTW doesnt even own a shop mind you do he has tuned with both SCT and Diablo products, Ken from MD and a few others on that thread. I know what MD sells, you don't have to remind me.

You seem to think that each customer wants the exact same tune and that there really wouldnt be any difference, you were wrong there.

In addition it was pointed out to you that on modular fords there was a thread that Diablo reps were in and it just showed hos piss poor their customer service was and even you agreed they dont update their stuff as much as SCT. That is another reason why SCT is better. They give the customer what they want.

As for getting around and reference. Between the 10 mustang sites I am on, SCT gets the better reputation, more votes and recommendations and happier customers with their tunes over the Predator. Hell I often see people bitching about their predator on them. So again you don't have to remind me of anything as I have already done what you stated almost a year ago;)

You're talking about the pre-loaded tune(s) and the hand-held tuner itself. No professional tuner uses either to set up or adjust a true custom tune, they only use them to download and datalog. They use Diablo CMR or SCT software to write a tune, and I repeat, neither is better than the other. Your opening statement "I hear people *****ing...." makes you more than just a little foolish, since anybody that starts out trying to make a point by saying "I heard" or "I hear" is saying they basically know nothing the subject themselves.

BTW I have never had to contact Diablo customer service. Maybe that's because it's so simple to use I don't have to, or maybe I'm a rocket scientist.