Sd Tuning Help!

Rws1984

Active User
Jul 26, 2011
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the advice. I recently got the motor back in, and running after a 2 1/2 year build. It's an 88 GT convert. with a fairly beefy HCI swap and all the goodies to go with it. AFR 165 heads, custom cam thanks to Woody, and a Trickflow track heat intake. Over the weekend I put on a wideband and started logging with the laptop, and honestly not sure where to go from here. Nobody in the area will tune a SD car, and I've never tried it. It idles a little high (1200 RPM) and is a little rich cold, but under heavy loads/acceleration I'm getting massive lean spikes to where I don't feel like I should drive it. I've looked at a couple different standalone ECMs and considered doing a MAF conversion so that I can take it to get tuned, but need some advice on which way to go, and if its safe to drive as is (under 3500). I'm leaning to the Megasquirt PnP side of things, just because its supposed to work with SD. What do you all think?

Attachments

• Hard Accel.PNG
    Hard Accel.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 97
  • Accel Mild.PNG
    Accel Mild.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 88
  • Idle Cold.PNG
    Idle Cold.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Hill.PNG
    Hill.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 78
  • Sponsors (?)

Well just my .02, a maf conversion would definitely handle your combo as is. A tune would pick up any HP left on the table but I wouldn't say it's necessary. In all honesty it's the route I would take.
The stand alone would negate the need for the swap and since you're data logging now it sounds like you're already leaning that way. @a91what Can chime in on that aspect.
I think you will see better results in the long run with a stand alone set up, but a maf swap will get you up and running no problem for half the cost. If you don't plan on going boost in the future that may be where your money is best spent.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Maf conversion would be easier. However for the same coin you could build a diypnp ms unit (550$ with upgraded software). Don't drive your car as is the lean spikes are all over the place. Test your map sensor and the tps, if the tps has noise it will throw off the acceleration enricent, replace the map just for insurance. Take a look at our ms thread and download the software (free) look through it before you make any decisions.

Thanks @a91what , I've been looking at the PNP since I started this project a couple years ago and think that's where I'm headed. Are there any good forums for first time users/tuners?
Right here. I have videos on our thread on how to use the software and datalogger. I also offer assistance over the web, I can even help tune your car from my living room in real time. The tune files can be posted in our ms thread for anyone to download and view, then we can make adjustments and repost them to help you. For an NA build I think we can have you going in a few hours.

Reactions: 1 user