SEAFOAM FTW!

• Sponsors (?)

Low RPM stalling at lights and such is usually caused by a dirty throttle body. If you didn't clean it out when you did the Seafoam, check it out.

i take it youve never used it before?

this is my current car. ignore the mismatched wheels, and it also has cats on it at the time. this was right before inspection and my front tires were shot.

BoatandCars.flv video by SteedaGT9150 - Photobucket

Have some in my garage, used it in my lawnmower one but didn't smoke quite like that - small engine I guess. Never had to use it in my stang. Good to see it worked for you I've heard a lot of people using it in their vehicles. Just not sure what it does? :shrug:

Every once in a while I'll dump half of a can in my gas tank and the other half in my engine oil (then change the oil a week or two later). It's supposed to dissolve carbon deposits and clean out impurities.

To get it to smoke like that, you have to put it directly into the intake, right? Like through a vacuum line or something?

Every once in a while I'll dump half of a can in my gas tank and the other half in my engine oil (then change the oil a week or two later). It's supposed to dissolve carbon deposits and clean out impurities.

To get it to smoke like that, you have to put it directly into the intake, right? Like through a vacuum line or something?[/QUOTE]

yep. other fuel injection and top end cleaners that run through a vacuum line and get sucked in and burned will smoke like hell, some worse than others. It clears right up but totally normal.

To get it to smoke like that, you have to put it directly into the intake, right? Like through a vacuum line or something?

yup, in a 5.0 go to the vaccum tree and find the line that goes straight to your intake mani, it has an S right above it. pull the line, have someone hold the car at 2000rpm and slowly poor in half a bottle. let the car sit for 10 min then start her up. (obviously put the line back on the tree). on my 00 you have to put it through the egr line that goes into the intake mani.

While its idling at temp, take off the the big vac line that runs from the intake manifold to the vacuum tree deal on the firewall and pour about half the bottle in there, the vacuum will suck it right in, then shut the car off. Wait about 5-10 minutes, crank it, and watch it smoke like a 2 stroke.

Then you can pour the other half in your gas tank. On small engines, it wont smoke, it just keeps your gas fresh, and cleans the carb.

Im not a big fan of liquid additives, but seafoam is just awesome!! It cleans carbon buildup, injectors, everything!! I always used it in the gas for my boat, and always ran great!

You can also use seafoam to winterize outboard boat engines also.

i just dumped half a bottle into my intake tonight like you said. also put a bottle of lucas injector cleaner in the tank, guys at autozone are like "lucas and seafoam?" got asked that 3 times and one guy tried really hard telling me i just wanted the lucas. lol. but i ran it through and then spanked it around and after i cleared the last of it out it ran very smooth. before it felt like it was breaking up higher in the rpms it pulled very smooth all the way up to 5100 before shifting.

Pull the IAC and run some carb cleaner spray through it. Don't forget the ports and the TB. Problem solved better than seafoam. Seafoam is basically mineral oils, fuel oil, and alchohol.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wsW2BA&usg=AFQjCNEk-xe8WnS0c8gDOiS0S5IPsq2qsQ

finished up my project just now, cleaned the MAF censor and casing, throttle body and spacer, and the IAC. no more bogging when i come to a stop, no more wanting to stall upon warm start.

the only thing that is odd about it is when letting off the throttle and going into neutral the the rpms hang a tad higher than i am used to. the idle is also about 100 rpms higher than i am used to as well. 1k rpm and hangs at 1,250 or so for about 1- 1 1/2 second. is this something awry or is just that this thing hasnt run quite right since i have had it?

my car was stumbling off of idle, ran some seafoam in the vac lines and she's acting right again. dumped the other half in the wifes 01's gas tank, its been sitting for ever and i think the fuel has started to turn to crap.

Great info here guys, I'm going to do the Seafoam intake cleanse today.

finished up my project just now, cleaned the MAF censor and casing, throttle body and spacer, and the IAC. no more bogging when i come to a stop, no more wanting to stall upon warm start.

the only thing that is odd about it is when letting off the throttle and going into neutral the the rpms hang a tad higher than i am used to. the idle is also about 100 rpms higher than i am used to as well. 1k rpm and hangs at 1,250 or so for about 1- 1 1/2 second. is this something awry or is just that this thing hasnt run quite right since i have had it?

If I remember right, sometimes the EEC needs to re-learn. After correcting any problem in my old '89 I'd give it at least a few days driving to see if the computer corrects itself. I'm no diagnostic guy tho, if someone knows otherwise chime in :)

EDIT- here's a useful write-up on TB & IAC cleaning:
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php