SEAFOAM? I have specific questions

Nov 21, 2011
87 gt stock

I have a powerloss issue and other then doing a pressure test and changing gaskets i don't know what it is. i have some broken vacuum lines and im lost with those even after reading the diagrams, I want to try seafoam

1 ive been reading through some threads and i havent seen any people use it with foxbodies...

2 from what ive read 1/3 goes in the oil, gas, and brake line...

3 you have to change your oil after using seafoam...

4 can i just use it in the gas and brake line? and will it still be effective? because i just changed my oil 4 days ago... thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've never used seafoam, so I can't help you there. But, if you have broken vacuum lines...FIX THEM! They are not that difficult. Take one off, carry it to parts store and buy replacement, take home and replace it. Move on to the next. If you know there is a problem present, take care of it first. The diagrams may look a little intimidating, but they are really simple. Ask around and see if a friend, who knows more about it, might be able to help you.

Good luck with it.

Looks like mostly egr stuff along with charcoal canister. To see if they are causing vac problems start the car and stick your finger over them. Some are solenoid controlled and may not leak immediately. Have a friend help. Don't put hand near fan or other moving parts or your car will eat you.

87 gt stock
...I want to try seafoam
1 ive been reading through some threads and i havent seen any people use it with foxbodies...
2 from what ive read 1/3 goes in the oil, gas, and brake line...
3 you have to change your oil after using seafoam...
4 can i just use it in the gas and brake line? and will it still be effective? because i just changed my oil 4 days ago... thanks
I would suggest reading the useages printed on the can.

thank you all, my main concern is can i use the seafoam just in my b/b line and gas tank and not have to change my oil? also ive seen other ppls vac lines and i seem to be missing some things so im avoiding it for now... i dont even have the plastic block that comes from the fenderwell

I'm looking at a can right now. There is no mention of brake lines. You can use in the crankcase, but will have to change the oil when it gets dirty, which could be rather quickly, since it's doing the cleaning. Pour it in the gas tank, gets burned just like injection cleaner. 16oz treats 8-25 gal. Does have a distinctive odor.

you pull off the the vacuum hose from the brake booster and put the the hose into a cup of about 5 oz of seafoam and suck it in and put the line back on the booster. turn the car off, let it sit for about 20 mins. turn on the car and enjoy the smoke show. blipped the throttle a couple times at full wot. drive it around.

do it in a well venilated area

If ya dont fix the vac lines first, then the seafoam wont do any good for ya. With those vac lines all screwed up, it may start OK, but it'll go nuts once it warms up and you're driving it. And yeah, it'll cause some serious power loss.

I dont think the 87 has a plastic block on the fenderwell. It does have a distribution block on the drivers side firewall.

You or a friend needs to figure this out, even if you end up capping off stuff.

Start at the distribution block on the firewall, drivers side. Make a drawing of what you have, then start comparing it to the drawings available online. They may not be exactly the same, but hopefully you'll be able to at least see what should be going to where.

The open connection that I saw in the start of the video (didn't watch the whole thing) most likely goes to one of the vac solenoids on the rear of the passenger side shock tower.

If you really cant do this, then you'll need to find someone who can. Vac leaks have to be fixed... bad leaks can even take away your brake booster. Dangerous.

you pull off the the vacuum hose from the brake booster and put the the hose into a cup of about 5 oz of seafoam and suck it in and put the line back on the booster. turn the car off, let it sit for about 20 mins. turn on the car and enjoy the smoke show. blipped the throttle a couple times at full wot. drive it around.

do it in a well venilated area

so do i have to get an oil change after this?

so do i have to get an oil change after this?

from seafoam website

''When using Sea Foam® in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam® in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam® is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam® is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.''

Sea Foam | Gasoline Engine FAQ's | General Content - Motor Treatment

from seafoam website

''When using Sea Foam® in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam® in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam® is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam® is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.''

Sea Foam | Gasoline Engine FAQ's | General Content - Motor Treatment

thank you sir, although there seems to be a big argument as you need to change ur oil after using it in your oil? i dont know why but a lot of ppl are saying that must be for some sort of reason

i never put it in my oil, only in the tank and the vacuum. seafoam says you dont have to according to this

Sea Foam® is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam® cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam® is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam® to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam®) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

depending on how dirty your motor is, you may have to change it sooner then expected but you dont have to put it in then change it right away

maybe just wait on putting it directly in the oil for now if you ddont want to change it sooner.

i never put it in my oil, only in the tank and the vacuum. seafoam says you dont have to according to this

depending on how dirty your motor is, you may have to change it sooner then expected but you dont have to put it in then change it right away

maybe just wait on putting it directly in the oil for now if you ddont want to change it sooner.

yeah, i changed my oil last weak so ill just to the tank and brake line

thank you all, my main concern is can i use the seafoam just in my b/b line and gas tank and not have to change my oil? also ive seen other ppls vac lines and i seem to be missing some things so im avoiding it for now... i dont even have the plastic block that comes from the fenderwell

yes you can...just dump the can in your tank. I have done this before, had zero issues after.